speeding up a 1.3

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

speeding up a 1.3

Postby Darth Maul on Fri May 26, 2006 10:14 pm

hi does any 1 know of any upgrades i can add to make my 1.3 to make it go faster? ive recently bought an exhaust which im waiting for, is there any other things?
Darth Maul
Poster
Poster

Postby Stoned on Fri May 26, 2006 10:20 pm

Waste of time. That engine wasn't built for performance

In fact it wasnt apparently built for economy either... what WAS it built for other than make large amounts of clatter :-?
Stoned
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby nick050 on Fri May 26, 2006 10:24 pm

Stoned :Waste of time. That engine wasn't built for performance

In fact it wasnt apparently built for economy either... what WAS it built for other than make large amounts of clatter :-?

to give the owner a life time or hardship paying to repair it :bonkers:
nick050
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Pez on Fri May 26, 2006 11:26 pm

Stoned :Waste of time. That engine wasn't built for performance

It was built, well, designed in the 50's, and then Ford decided they should continue using it, just giving it a slightly different name every few years, up until the turn of the 21st century. Its a marvel of engineering really, but yes, it wasnt designed with performance or economy in mind.

So yes Mr Maul, you'll have a hard time with that engine. You can source modified cylinder heads, performance cam kits, uprated carburettors (if you have an older car), modified distributors etc etc. But at the end of the day, its a 1.3, you could have installed a 1.6 CVH by the time you got past fitting a modified carb. Go for a larger engine, and the insurance company are less likely to sting you than if you modify your current engine. :)
Pez
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Sat May 27, 2006 12:04 am

Mines slow, but i can still have fun in it! Hmm
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Merc CL500

Car: 2014 BMW M135i

Postby purple_fiesta on Sat May 27, 2006 12:53 am

i heard decatting it does abit but its not really worth it
2.1 Zetec Turbo ERST S2. T34 Hybrid Turbo. Tubular PVE Manifold. Rover Inlet. Stage 2 CTS Box. 3" - 4" Mongoose. Stripped out. Corbeau Revolution Seats.
6 Point Safety Devices Cage.
purple_fiesta
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby adz on Sat May 27, 2006 1:22 am

ive heard folding the seats down works :-?

:lol: :P

best way to get more power out of your car is to, and follow these steps carefully...

drop out original engine

insert new engine

oui?
adz
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby TomRS1800 on Sat May 27, 2006 2:41 am

Buy a lawnmower that would be faster than the 1.3 :lol: :lol: :lol:
What come's next? who care's, why worry about things over which you have no control. Freedom is a voyage of discovery with all the enjoyment of seeing things and experiencing events for the first time. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
TomRS1800
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MotorcyclesFish on Sat May 27, 2006 9:34 am

Aside from the obvious "cliff" comment, I feel it's worth pointing out that the Kent and subsequent Kent Crossflow engines developed in the 50s and 60s aren't what's in the 1.3 fiestas. A 1.3 crossflow would be a damn sight quicker than a 1.3 HCS/Valencia/Endura type engine. Although I suppose they might share one or two visual similarities, they AREN'T the same, and the Kent crossflow is a beautiful little engine, whereas the HCS is just... eugh.
MotorcyclesFish
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: 2004 Z4 3.0i SE

Car: 1984 Ford Capri

Re: speeding up a 1.3

Postby VUK on Sat May 27, 2006 9:52 am

Darth Maul :hi does any 1 know of any upgrades i can add to make my 1.3 to make it go faster? ive recently bought an exhaust which im waiting for, is there any other things?

remove the CAT and fit free flow exhust, K&N air filter, service it. :)
1995 Fiesta SI 3 door, green something, 2L + diesel gearbox in(130mph @ 5,000rpm :o), focus inlet in, + k&n, passed mot without a cat :D < FIESTA FOR SALE! GOT A BMW 528I SE MANUAL NOW :)
http://www.finalgear.com
VUK
Post Master
Post Master

Postby j7aoc on Sat May 27, 2006 10:04 am

Max M4X WW :Mines slow, but i can still have fun in it! Hmm
We don't want to know what you get upto with your school girls :lol: :lol:
j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby Max M4X WW on Sat May 27, 2006 10:06 am

:lol:
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Merc CL500

Car: 2014 BMW M135i

Postby FezzR on Sat May 27, 2006 11:25 am

can confirm decat will have no effect, i didnt feel any real world difference anyway.

the downpipes are well designed and changing them would have negative effect.

you can port polish head with new cam etc, but you'll be lucky to see another 15bhp even with aftermarket management to take advantage of it. add to that the cost and hassle you would be better getting a bigger engine and paying the higher insurance
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby Jonezy on Sat May 27, 2006 4:09 pm

i voue for the fact that the hcs is s**t, mine does bout 190 mies to £30. er 0-60 in about 14 seconds, 12 downa hill, cant climb hills to save its rather worthles life. can still beat ma m8s 1.4 16v ibiza of the line and round corners tho which is a plus. thankyou spax and proxes.
Jonezy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jonezy on Sat May 27, 2006 4:11 pm

change the engine to the mk2 1.3 gt or sport engine, and itl mod better.
Jonezy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andyhardy on Sat May 27, 2006 4:19 pm

For all the stick the engine gets, I never ever ever had a problem with the HCS Fords I've owned (well - not with the engines anyway). Good old workhorse - they were designed with economy in mind, but economy back when it was made is different to economy now. They were designed to power shopping trolley cars and therefore weren't meant to be powerful.

Cheers,

Andy
Carburetted CVH p-p-powa!
andyhardy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby XRMike on Sat May 27, 2006 4:42 pm

andyhardy :For all the stick the engine gets, I never ever ever had a problem with the HCS Fords I've owned (well - not with the engines anyway). Good old workhorse - they were designed with economy in mind, but economy back when it was made is different to economy now. They were designed to power shopping trolley cars and therefore weren't meant to be powerful.

Cheers,

Andy

Totally agree,and, they just never give up(hardley). Despite the rattleness,and sluggishness,they keep on going no matter what you throw at them.
A friend of mine had a 1.3 sx(the sportyish fiesta), and we setup the carb, set the tappets,give it a good service and it flew for what it was, i still to this day cannot get over how nippy it was.
XRMike
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby Gazeddy on Sun May 28, 2006 9:32 am

good for over the ton quick enough for me for now
1.6 si coming soon
5 Door Register
Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their heads out of car windows
Gazeddy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby andymac on Sun May 28, 2006 7:26 pm

I think the majority of peopel will suggest an engine upgrade would be better for you than modding the 1.3. A conversion to a 1.6 cvh or zetec should be noticably better for you.

In fact, if you're on a budget, upgrading to a 1.6 zetec makes a certain amount of sense as it'll be relatively cheap to insure but does mean you'll have the infrastructure in place to upgrade to a 2.0 later on when you can afford the insurance and are used to the additional power you'll find in the zetece engine.

You can try pm'ing xr2i chick or mmogenius if you want, I'm pretty certain paul (mmo) has a couple of 1.6's kicking round :)
Nothing to see here...
andymac
Elite Pie Master
Elite Pie Master

Your car: Your car: Your car: Your car:

Postby edders on Mon May 29, 2006 7:17 pm

MotorcyclesFish :Aside from the obvious "cliff" comment, I feel it's worth pointing out that the Kent and subsequent Kent Crossflow engines developed in the 50s and 60s aren't what's in the 1.3 fiestas. A 1.3 crossflow would be a damn sight quicker than a 1.3 HCS/Valencia/Endura type engine. Although I suppose they might share one or two visual similarities, they AREN'T the same, and the Kent crossflow is a beautiful little engine, whereas the HCS is just... eugh.

ive got to say that the kent crossflows are in fact fantastic little motors
they have a whole host of tuning goodies due to them being used a lot as
rally motors int the late 70's and are still used today
ive got one in my kit car and they dont make nearly a tenth of the tappet noise as a hcs
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

endura 1.3 tunning

Postby narcho on Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:57 am

hello, i recently bought a ford mondeo ghia diesel turbo kit with garrett .30 .48 for my fiesta endura-e 1.3. now im searching for forjed headers. if someone have any opinnion with this proyect please write to me. thanks ignacio desde argentina
narcho
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby harris-hpe on Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:37 pm

I thought the HCS was a diesel, or does it just sound that way?!? lol :lol:

if I got a pound for everytime someone came up to me in a petrol station and said "you do realise thats petrol you're filling up with don't you?!?" well id have enough cash for a diesel engine transplant!!!

In all fairness the HCS engines are awesome. Ok they couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding but boy they would run forever. I used to drive mine down to bournemouth every weekend flat chat (managed 110 once down a really big hill in the slipstream of a merc kompressor :Q ) so it cant be all bad!

And one of my mates once drove his on two cylinders for nearly 2000miles due to a broken rocker shaft! Replaced it with one from a scrap yard+recommeded lollypop stick tappet clearances=only about 3bhp but yes the car is still running!!!!! AMAZING!!!

in fact its nearly tempting enough to drop the 2.0L and replace it with a 1.3 HCS.......... Naaaaaaaaa
harris-hpe
Poster
Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.