Strut Brace Question

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Strut Brace Question

Postby Mightysi on Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:22 pm

I've decided to add one of the above to my mk3 but being too skint :x to buy a new one i decided to make one myself, however i need to know one thing.

Does it actually pull the tops of the suspension in slighty, or is it just to stop them moving? :-?

If anyone knows, or anyone who has one fitted fancy's measuring the distance between the suspension tops (in a straight line) i'd be very grateful :D.
It aint easy, Living free....
Mightysi
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Project_XR2i_Trackcar on Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:38 pm

I'm no expert, but in lamens terms....

.....all it does is stiffen the body.

i think the reason it fits between the struts cos that is where it is most likely to roll/flex if you like. i wouldnt of thought that it pulls or sohould pull the struts inwards as the whole point of it being fitted is to stop them coming in or out.

I have one on both my impreza and my fiesta and they do make a difference. on my impreza i can get a lower front one too, not too sure about the fez though. BTW you can get rear strut braces (as per my fez) which obviously do the same thing.

hope this helps, or maybe someone could correct me or elaborate.

chris

Renault Sport Megane 250 Cup
Ford Fiesta XR2i 2.0 trackcar
Project_XR2i_Trackcar
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Xr2i

Postby Project_XR2i_Trackcar on Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:39 pm

BTW, i can measure the fez one if you like

its an OMP one for a xr2i 8v (the 16v one is different)

Renault Sport Megane 250 Cup
Ford Fiesta XR2i 2.0 trackcar
Project_XR2i_Trackcar
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Xr2i

Postby Mightysi on Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:11 pm

thats what i thought, but i wasn't 100%
How come th 8v and 16v are different? I thought that they all used the same shell.

I need to get a bottom bar, because mine hasn't got an antiroll bar so i'm going to do the two together, but i cant put a rear on in cos i need the space to get stuff in!
It aint easy, Living free....
Mightysi
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby javablu on Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:34 pm

they are different because of the layout of the engine, the engine sticks out in all different places and therefore different braces are needed :D
javablu
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby SimonT on Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:04 pm

Flip2k3 :they are different because of the layout of the engine, the engine sticks out in all different places and therefore different braces are needed :D

correct
Too old and too bald.
SimonT
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Fiesta Zetec S TDCi

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.