suspension question

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

suspension question

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:22 pm

was thinking bout lowering car 50mm. i have noticed the rear of the car is higher than the front, obviously cuz theres less weight in the back than the front. was wondering, if i were to lower the front by 50mm and the rear by 60mm would that make the car sit level??

cheers guys :D
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby RS rob on Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:18 pm

trial and error mate,
maybe you should just bite the bullet if you want things that perfect and buy coilovers!

cheaper in the long run and the difference is well worth it!
I HAVE :D
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:47 pm

The rear of the car is not higher "because there's less weight there". That could quite simply have been overcome by using softer or shorter springs at the back. The rear is kept higher for handling reasons!
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby BUTRE on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:49 pm

Coilovers... and book your car at zoomotorsport to have it "corner weighted"

Handling will be WAY better.
BUTRE
Post Master
Post Master

Postby dee_RS_2ltr on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:59 pm

ok thanks for the info guys, i'll see if i can afford some coilovers then.
dee_RS_2ltr
Post Master
Post Master

Postby makos13gr on Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:32 am

hi my fiesta was 1300 and put an frst engie. ihave bilstein sport with apex springs. i think that my car could not be worst.help me what to do?
i have to change both of them?
my car does not have antiroll bar.does eibach have antirol ars for mk3?
sorry for my english i am from greece.
makos13gr
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby heeman10 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:24 am

Kalispera Makos! You can fit the XR2i or FRST anti-roll bar if you have the correct mounting points on the front dampers, and the threads in the lower wishbones to bolt the anti-roll bar mounts into :) The anti-roll bar (ARB) totally changes it! :D
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby musicdrummer42 on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:27 am

mines lowered 40mm front and 60mm rear, and it sits pretty level. as heeman says though get the front arb, should make handling a lot better, i shall be putting one on mine when i get round to it.
< Pete >< Peugeot 306 1.9 DTurbo >< 118bhp 155 lb/ft >< FOR SALE £1000 >
musicdrummer42
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby makos13gr on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:05 pm

believe it or not i can't find used arb from rs turbo! and a new one costs 150euro only the bar.[img][img]http://www.fiestaturbo.com/phpBB/gallery/makos13grgreek_power.jpg[/img][/img]
makos13gr
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

arb

Postby Mizka on Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:53 pm

Don't blame the antiroll bar (or the lack of it) for bad handling. Actually if you guys really would like to make your fast Fiestas handle, you'll have to make the the front end softer and the rear end stiffer. Better yet if the front antiroll bar is removed and replaced with "latter model"-like reaction bars with better bushes of course. This mod adds grip when accelerating and reduces steering torque.

I also recommend those adjustable lower arms, although they are heavily priced (after all it just two feets of Fe45 tube, few uniballs and bolts). :oooh:
It's better to burn out than fade away
Mizka
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Re: arb

Postby BUTRE on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:22 am

Mizka :
Don't blame the antiroll bar (or the lack of it) for bad handling. Actually if you guys really would like to make your fast Fiestas handle, you'll have to make the the front end softer and the rear end stiffer. Better yet if the front antiroll bar is removed and replaced with "latter model"-like reaction bars with better bushes of course. This mod adds grip when accelerating and reduces steering torque.

The fiesta mk3 handling is all wrong to start with.
The rear axle is really poo and a zetec-s one its a good VFM mod to start that twitchy rear.
At front, oh well cause alot needs to be done :(

Mizka :
I also recommend those adjustable lower arms, although they are heavily priced (after all it just two feets of Fe45 tube, few uniballs and bolts). :oooh:

They are way to expensive!!! I'm designing my own and the cost I estimate is 1/3. :oooh:
The thing is that you need to think and draw some lines on paper to get them right. Not everyone knows how-to and whats needed to improve handling.
BUTRE
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Mizka on Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:40 pm

Butre said:"-The fiesta mk3 handling is all wrong to start with."

I hope u didn't get me wrong, I ment that those setups (soft front/stiff back) will work if there are decent sets of aftermarket coilovers on, and yes it will make big difference with z-s rear beam.

One thing that should be consider when seeking for better handling is to get faster steering rack from old Fiesta Cup-cars. If they are too hard to find, then u gotta go for custom made rack.

OT:I got a rally-Fester project on the way (to Finnish national group F) where I need those lower arms. I would also make my own ones but those rally regulations don't allow "homemade products", and sertificate is needed to proof the durability. If u (Butre) manage to make proper drawings, is it possible to have a "look" @ those? I can always fake the sertificate... :bonkers:
Mizka
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby BUTRE on Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:07 am

Mizka :
Butre said:"-The fiesta mk3 handling is all wrong to start with."

I hope u didn't get me wrong, I ment that those setups (soft front/stiff back) will work if there are decent sets of aftermarket coilovers on, and yes it will make big difference with z-s rear beam.

I have a zetec-s ream axle waiting to be fit. Hope it sorts the rear instability, but I know its not going to be enough since I drive on track for low timing laps. I will consider on getting the anti-roll bar of the std frst rear axle... it needs to drill holes to get it on, but it will shure improve handling.

Mizka :
One thing that should be consider when seeking for better handling is to get faster steering rack from old Fiesta Cup-cars. If they are too hard to find, then u gotta go for custom made rack.

What steering rack from ole Fiesta Cup-cars??

Mizka :
OT:I got a rally-Fester project on the way (to Finnish national group F) where I need those lower arms. I would also make my own ones but those rally regulations don't allow "homemade products", and sertificate is needed to proof the durability. If u (Butre) manage to make proper drawings, is it possible to have a "look" @ those? I can always fake the sertificate... :bonkers:

I'm looking at it right now, but only going to manufacture a set for dumm fit next year or so. First need to sort the coilovers and corner weighting since seems that no one knows and does it here in Portugal :x
I guess that I'll be buying 4 scales :lol: but only after I order the coilovers :lol: :lol: :lol:
BUTRE
Post Master
Post Master

Cup cars

Postby Mizka on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:30 am

Maybe you're not aware of the series which were driven with group A homologated xr2i's in mid nineteens in Britain (and in France I think). (I assumed that u were british :bonkers: ). Almost the same series is now driven with new Fiesta ST tuned in group n regulations.

Anyway those cup cars are full of competition goodies such as faster steering (rack & pinion), adjustable lower arms etc.

BTW how much you had to pay for the z-s rear beam? In Finland brakers ask about 250-270 € for normal mk4/5 rear axle...which I believe is the same as z-s axle.
Mizka
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.