suspension strut

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

suspension strut

Postby DeanoW on Thu May 08, 2003 1:31 pm

I am in the process of changing over my springs but the garage that done my kit have helpfully rounded out the allen key hole at the top of the strut :x , so i cannot remove the bolt so am stuck with it for now. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to remove the bolt without ripping the thread?

Cheers guys
Deano
DeanoW
Post Master
Post Master

Postby voorhas on Thu May 08, 2003 1:44 pm

I'd try doing a small cut on the top (perpendicular to the surface and approximately at the middle of it) so u could stick a screwdriver in to stop it spinning. U can also try hammering a slightly bigger allen key in there, but that might cause the outer thread to distort, making it difficult to remove the nut so I'd go for the 1st solution.

Gonçalo D.
Last edited by voorhas on Thu May 08, 2003 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voorhas
Poster
Poster

suspension strut

Postby DeanoW on Thu May 08, 2003 1:46 pm

I was thinking of that but didnt know how to cut the slot in it without ruining the thread
DeanoW
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Phil Si on Thu May 08, 2003 3:59 pm

tell then to sort it ! and if they have to buy new strut then they should...

i rekon anyway :)

How's my moderating? Call 0800-U-R-BANNED
Phil Si
Crack Smoker Of The Year 1999
Crack Smoker Of The Year 1999

Car: 2000 BMW 330 Ci

suspension strut

Postby DeanoW on Thu May 08, 2003 4:04 pm

i would but cannot find the reciept :rolleyes: , i will look again but if i cant im buggered
DeanoW
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Thu May 08, 2003 8:40 pm

If the garage damaged it they HAVE TO fix it, you are perfectly within your rights to make them fix it. If they dont start making a big noise about it and mention legal advice.

If it's an Allen head bolt the garage mechanic should know about "Easy outs" they fit into the bolt head with some help from a hammer and then you can twist out the bolt with an adjustable spanner. Every mechanic should have a set :rolleyes:
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby df908 on Fri May 09, 2003 10:46 am

didnt know how to cut the slot in it without ruining the thread

Dremel, cut-off wheel, 2 mins...

On the plus side, its a good excuse to change your dampers while the springs are getting changed :P
Nige

'94 mondeo. Pass the mortgage, son.

Hmm... what... eh?
df908
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Excursion on Fri May 09, 2003 12:43 pm

I use a compressor/air gun to remove mine mate - they have enough torque to remove the nut without having to lock anything - so your not totally stuck.

The garage should rectify this - but you'll have a hard job proving it was them.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

suspension strut

Postby DeanoW on Fri May 09, 2003 1:24 pm

i found the receipt and wandered round there but he swore blind that he did not wreck it, but this is the same ar$ehole that let me drive off the first time without the nuts being done up properly and he left the old nuts sitting in the cup on the strut :aaah: . The guy said pop back tomorrow when the big boss is down and we'll talk again but i just know i'm gonna get the run around :x .
DeanoW
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.