[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
Tapping zetec head to accept FRST / ERST exhaust manifold : Tuning / Handling / Braking | Fiesta Forums

Tapping zetec head to accept FRST / ERST exhaust manifold

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Tapping zetec head to accept FRST / ERST exhaust manifold

Postby black2 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi,

Im after some advice from people that have either done the above or know about the above.

Basically i want to start drilling & tapping the head to fit my CVH exhaust mainfold on, how have people done this? I have all the equipment to do it but what im concerned about is where to drill, as i dont want to be going through any water or oil galleries. Does anyone have any photos etc? and from reading Heemans thread it seems some of the "taps" get rather close to the above areas leaving marignal thicknesses, loads of people do it this way so cant see there being major probs - just want to make sure im drilling in the right area.

I know there are adapter plates around now, but its going in my mk2 fiesta and space is tight.

Any help advice greatly appreciated,

Regards Gareth.

The return to standard, from the above sig pics - back to how Ford intended..............
and-so-it-begins-update-24-02-08-vt162934/
black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: Tapping zetec head to accept FRST / ERST exhaust manifold

Postby dangerousdave on Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:32 pm

why not cut the flange off and weld the cvh one on?
dangerousdave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby black2 on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:32 pm

Could do that - I will have a look on the weekend see whats what.

Gareth.

The return to standard, from the above sig pics - back to how Ford intended..............
black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dangerousdave on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:26 pm

:wink: im not a fan of tapping oilways so thats the way i would do it as half the bolts will only have around 4mm iirc :(
dangerousdave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby filtra on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:36 pm

Ex Fiesta RS Turbo owner :(
filtra
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby SiZT on Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:47 pm

Theres not the space to use an adaptor, cutting and welding a new flange on is the best way
Ratspeed :Maybe Wardy257 has a magazine article on it................
SiZT
Poster
Poster

Postby black2 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:48 pm

Been down to see my Dad earlier today (engineer) he dos'nt think that welding the zetec flange on the rst manifold will hold very well because they are cast metal he says i will always have problems with it cracking etc.

SO im goin to tap the head. See my thread theres only 4 that need tapping *i think*

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby crazycage on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:47 pm

black2 :Been down to see my Dad earlier today (engineer) he dos'nt think that welding the zetec flange on the rst manifold will hold very well because they are cast metal he says i will always have problems with it cracking etc.

SO im goin to tap the head. See my thread theres only 4 that need tapping *i think*

Gareth.

they all need tapping :)
crazycage
Post Master
Post Master

Postby black2 on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:43 pm

crazycage :
black2 :Been down to see my Dad earlier today (engineer) he dos'nt think that welding the zetec flange on the rst manifold will hold very well because they are cast metal he says i will always have problems with it cracking etc.

Gareth.

You sure??

Have a look at the photo im my thread in the members gallery - I have offered up the rst manifold and three of the bottom 4 zetec holes are fine as you can see in the pic. The ports line up good as well.

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby dangerousdave on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:05 pm

why not get a nice equal length manafold made up, sure your old man could help, ( i mig welded my manafold on the rst and its also cast)
dangerousdave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby crazycage on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:41 am

black2 :
crazycage :

Gareth.

You sure??

Have a look at the photo im my thread in the members gallery - I have offered up the rst manifold and three of the bottom 4 zetec holes are fine as you can see in the pic. The ports line up good as well.

Gareth.

that doesnt show muchdoes it ?, over lay the gasket and you will see that to get them to line up 100% you need to drill and tap all 8
crazycage
Post Master
Post Master

Postby black2 on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Crazycage : You are indeed correct. Today I followed your plan and offered up the gasket and they all have to be tapped.

Have you done this beofre then chap? If so how far do you drill into the head? I was planning on using the existing studs and cutting them down untill about 5 threads below the stop on them (if you follow me - i will get a pic to show what i mean) then filling the end so it will screw in to the head - this way it saves drilling to far in & iirc this way will give about half the fixing in to the head that the orginal studs / holes have.

Sound like a plan?

Regards,

Gareth.

black2
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby crazycage on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:20 pm

black2 :Crazycage : You are indeed correct. Today I followed your plan and offered up the gasket and they all have to be tapped.

Have you done this beofre then chap? If so how far do you drill into the head? I was planning on using the existing studs and cutting them down untill about 5 threads below the stop on them (if you follow me - i will get a pic to show what i mean) then filling the end so it will screw in to the head - this way it saves drilling to far in & iirc this way will give about half the fixing in to the head that the orginal studs / holes have.

Sound like a plan?

Regards,

Gareth.

yes i have done it :D some you can drill deeper than others some break into oil and water galleries,
its not the best way to do it mate ,you make a 200sx manifold fit nice for not a lot of cash
crazycage
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.