Tech advice please!

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Tech advice please!

Postby phatxr on Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:11 pm

My girlie's dad has a VW sharan 1.8T which is running 180bhp through a 6 speed box, what i want to know is - can i simply shorten the rod on the actuator is increase the boost a little?
Im not an expert on these kind of engines as they're quite a modern design, unlike the old CVH.
Anyone know whether a dump valve will make it lose power as its only a low boosting turbo (i think its aroud 8psi)
Ive talked him into modding it up a bit! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Also, does anyone know of any VW sites?
phatxr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby DaveZetec on Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:27 pm

hmmm.. all im gonna say is stay well away from ur girlfriends dads car. its prolly the last thing in the world you could ever break, short of your own spine.

I'd imagine the ecu would argue with you shortenin the rod a bit, it wopuld think something was up and s**t itself and do wierd stuff. that wot new cars are like, mod anything and they think somethings wrong. It makes it loads more complicated!
DaveZetec
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby phatxr on Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:54 pm

I know what your saying about staying away from his car, thats why im asking for advice before going within 10 foot of his turbo!!!
Its quite rapid as it is (considering the size of it) but it ran out of puff at 141 chasing an R1 back from silverstone on monday, he wasn't best pleased!

There must be a vw site that i can go on, Anna, your a golf fan - do you know of any?
phatxr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby The Bruster on Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:55 pm

Mate, After my recent ordeal I'd strongly reccomend you stay clear.
However if you go forward with it I wish you the best of luck, and your girlie will be well chuffed with you if you sort it :)
ImageImage
The car infront is a Toyota
The Bruster
'80s Suprastar
'80s Suprastar

Postby The Bruster on Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:56 pm

Mate, After my recent ordeal I'd strongly reccomend you stay clear.
However if you go forward with it I wish you the best of luck, and your girlie will be well chuffed with you if you sort it :)
ImageImage
The car infront is a Toyota
The Bruster
'80s Suprastar
'80s Suprastar

Postby The Gilly on Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:21 pm

dump valve will not make the car lose power and help the turbo live longer.
The Gilly
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby phatxr on Thu Jun 06, 2002 5:43 pm

I didnt think the dump valve would (unlike supercharged engines) but i thought i'd make sure!
Thanks for the advice charlie, but does anyone know if it IS just a case of shortening the actuator rod to create more preload on the turbo?
Surely the ecu can be reset by taking the live cable off the battery? ive heard this works but cant remember if its for all cars or just one in particular.
Maybe I should just leave well alone, but it would be good fun if it did work! :devil: :devil: :devil:
phatxr
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Project on Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:30 pm

ECU will usually need remapping to allow for extra boost, although being new and German, it will prolly drive itself back to the nearest VeeDubs main dealer as soon as it suspects it's fallen into the hands of a boyracer :o :D

I would try phoning round some of the big VeeDubs tuners and see what they say. Best thing would prolly be to have it chipped and fiddled with a little.
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.