traction control on fiestas

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

traction control on fiestas

Postby MK4 Rick on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:17 pm

this might sound stupid but has anybody thought about or fitted traction control to there mk3 fiesta .if so how is it done?been thinking about it for a while and wouldnt mind having ago at it.
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Mk5 Fiesta

Postby heeman10 on Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:51 pm

I wouldn't bother, personally, as the Fiesta (RS Turbo variant and similar)strikes a great balance between crude old carb systems and modern "computer-driven" systems. Traction control could indeed be implemented with the right sensors, trigger wheels and ECU, but I'd rather keep it all in line with my feet :)
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby Mr Sam on Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:23 pm

traction control is for girls :bonkers:
'81 Fiesta
Mr Sam
Poster
Poster

Postby jimmyesh on Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:35 pm

I had all the traction control parts included with all the ST170 running gear that i fitted to my RS1800 but decided not to fit it (not just 'cos i'm lazy! :lol: ).

I used to own a focus 2.0 ESP and the traction control was a pain in the arse :x , always kicking in and taking all the power away at the slightest hint of wheelspin so you end up absolutely crawling away from the lights getting left for dead by fiat Multiplas and other disgusting beasts of that ilk :lol:

Even when you turned it "off" it would always still kick in if you really broke traction- horrible :x

If I was you I wouldn't bother with it - (leave it to for all the morons in people carriers who NEVER pull back in from the overtaking lane EVER!! and just sit in one long line like mongs!!:x - sorry for the rant, spent most my day on the M6! :cry:)
Last edited by jimmyesh on Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Yes

Postby edders on Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:40 pm

Mr Sam :traction control is for girls :bonkers:

you are correct sir :D
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

traction control

Postby MK4 Rick on Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:09 am

so i take it traction control is a big no no then?
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jimmyesh on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:14 pm

It's all up to you really as it's your car after all, no-one else's. If I was you though I'd take a car with T/C on out for a spin first to see if you really want it yourself on your Fiesta :-?
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

traction control

Postby MK4 Rick on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:33 pm

very good point jimmymesh i would have an lsd but arnt they dear to buy?i like the sound of this six speed box you have done mate.do these boxes only come off the top end of the range focuses?might attempt it some time soon.
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby jimmyesh on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:22 pm

There's a couple of st170 6 speed 'boxes for sale on ebay at the moment still very cheap too - have a look... You never know, it may be the way forward :wink:

The 6 speed box as fitted to the st170 is unique as far as I know but it could well be the same as the 6 speed fitted to the new focus 2.0 petrol duratec 145bhp, I know the TDCi models also use 6 speed but I am pretty sure the ratios are different to suit the diesel lump better- If anyone knows better please correct me! :lol:

The st170 6 SPEED box WILL bolt to ANY CVH/ZETEC block as all the St170 block is, is a zetec black-top anyway. Bear in mind that it has an electronic speedo-drive so would have to be retro-fitted with a mechanical speedo drive to suit an older car (unless you do the complete conversion with dash too).

Also you would need st170 driveshafts, I fitted the N/s one to the o/s of the fiesta (they fit perfectly into the fiesta mk3.5 hubs), the o/s focus one was professionaly shortened by recoprop to 328mm.

The gearbox from ANY (not just the 6 speed) focus uses a mount that holds it from the top and a rear "torque link" to hold it from the back too. I had to do a fair bit of fabricating to accommodate these items. Or you could always just adapt the box to fit onto the fiesta mounts/cradle somehow...

The gearbox uses selector and shift cables instead of the old linkage, this just makes the install easier though, you just need the gear lever assembly to go with it.

Not sure what clutch you'd use with it, the ST170 has a dual mass flywheel and has a nice hydraulic clutch but it's not renowned for being mega-strong (for the likes of big bhp turbo lumps :devil: etc)

The MT285 6 speed box is renowned already as being a strong old beast though and even the driveshafts are beefier than fiesta ones.

Hope that sheds some light on the subject mate! :-? :lol:
jimmyesh
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:36 pm

I'll point out now that a lot of people have only ever experienced standard, factory traction control systems. For the most part, that means that as soon as you spin the wheels at all, your ignition's cut or the brakes are applied, making for a very dull, and sometimes dangerous way to reign in wheelspin.

If you were to install an adjustable system (or run it through a good ECU) you could input the amount of slip you would tolerate, allowing as much/little wheelspin as you wanted :)
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

traction control

Postby MK4 Rick on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:16 pm

im kind off put off now by the traction control thing all sounds to technical
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby lucasdemoley on Sun Dec 17, 2006 6:34 pm

Aftermarket ones can be had for about £400. There is abit of set-up involved, but they can be fairly good. I think most have the option of launch control, so you can get better 0-60 times, and as said, the point at which they control the throttle can be adjusted. One of the car mags did a feature on traction controle, and they did make out that it was quite a cool system to have. Not really worth it on a fwd car imo, but if i had something rwd i would definetly conisder it, as im very heavy footed, and even driving my grans 316i, i kept geting sideways in the wet on roundabouts ect, so would save me!
Just because I keep talking about definetly doing it doesn't mean I'm actualy going to do it.
lucasdemoley
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.