tunin my frst

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

tunin my frst

Postby Mikee_RS on Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:33 pm

k i know this has been ask a million times but im more or a zetec person so i gotta learn bout my turbos, wots the best way to tune my new motor, in wot order should i get things, its runin on its original t2 turbo with ajustable boost screw which im not that keen on takin that far. it also has a piper cam, think its the mild one.
Image Image Image
Mikee_RS
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1995 Ford Fiesta

>

Postby MIK3Y on Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:12 pm

OK only IMO; im new to the game myself and assuming i get a completly standard FRST im thinking of the following engine mods (experts correct me if something else is better);

*) Im gonna make sure the water pump, cam belt & tensioner are all good.

*) Dump valve goes with-out saying. :devil:

1) PACE intercooler (should be good for stage 1 boost and should immediatly make it a little nippier)

2) Piper/Kent performance mild cam kit. (get some decent valve seals with it plus u can get an uprated head gasket while ur at it) WHICH IS BEST FOR A FRST BTW?

3) IK & Xorst for obvious reasons (thinking Magnex 4'' would prefer 3.5 but don't do it plus Green coton filter)

4) Uprated fuel pump.

5) Bayjoo 165 chip set-up to fuel correctly at a boost of approx 14psi.

SHOULD BE 170BHP with only about a grand spent! :aviator:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it.
MIK3Y
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Mikee_RS on Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:24 pm

ive got pipercross induction kit
dump valve :devil:
mild piper cam
magnex zorst
:D
Image Image Image
Mikee_RS
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MikeyXR2i on Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:26 pm

Go for a Mongoose system, they are the less restrictive systems.
MikeyXR2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

>

Postby MIK3Y on Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:29 pm

Yeah but restriction equals more low down torque doesn't it?
So all u need is number 5 and number 4 if u wish then ull have a beast! :devil:
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop to look around once in a while, you could miss it.
MIK3Y
Post Master
Post Master

Postby MikeyXR2i on Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:32 pm

I don't think it does, ive always been under the impression that the fumes got to get out quickly, as to make room for the fuel, but there has to be a certain amount of back pressure.
MikeyXR2i
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

>

Postby MIK3Y on Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:45 pm

I dont know anything about what's best for turbo cars but i like back pressure in N/a cars cause when i fitted my de-cat pipe it wouldn't put me back in my seat at all in my Clio 16v.
So re-fitted my cat to get that low speed torque back although it was better when accerating over 70mph but where's the torque/fun in that? :devil:
I assume the same principle applies up to a certain point with turbo cars aswell although don't hav a clue?
Blowing through a straw is hard as is blowing through a drain pipe but it's a LOT easier to blow through a toliet roll tube & all that!
MIK3Y
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Mikee_RS on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:01 am

is it ok 2 chip a standard T2?
the turbo seems 2 b fine (at the moment) the car has dune 90k but been looked after well
Image Image Image
Mikee_RS
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

>

Postby MIK3Y on Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:05 am

Yeah, it'll give u the excuse to get a T25 when it goes. :wink:

Seriously; jus shorten it's life so ive heard but if it goes then it was gonna go soon anyway IMO.
MIK3Y
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:27 pm

Hello...................

This is Fezzy's recommendations for stage1 or 165: If modding engine, start with reliability! If your car has 60k+ then it's time for a new cam.....choose anyone u want with a vernier pulley. This will then give u the opportunity to change the headgasket and check the piston crowns and bores are ok. Get the head and valves checked out and cleaned. Change the valve stem seals. Get the head polished (exhaust only) and ported (exhaust and intake). New head bolts WILL be needed! An uprated AP plate clutch will also be needed.
Put it all back together and run in the engine for 1000 miles! with a Mongoose exhaust and a good air filter (cone or panel)
DO NOT touch the boost leave it at standard.
After 1000 miles, take to your local tuner get 165 chip and get boost set to around 12psi for a std T2 and std I/C. You will NOT need to upgrade your fuel pump or injectors. Watch out for your gearbox, it might not like the hike in power after it's had an easy life for so long......you have been warned!

This is basically what i have done to my car, which is still running 40k miles later on original T2 and I/C.

Any questions ?? :wink:
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby Mikee_RS on Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:32 pm

cheers mate sounds good,
wot milage has urs done, mines done 91 but just had new cam and cambelt and major ford service
Image Image Image
Mikee_RS
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

>

Postby MIK3Y on Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:31 pm

''Questions?'' I have a mind full of them. :wink:

''Get the head and valves checked out and cleaned. Change the valve stem seals. Get the head polished (exhaust only) and ported (exhaust and intake). New head bolts WILL be needed! An uprated AP plate clutch will also be needed''

How much will that all cost? Ive budgeted for a new cam/pullie so on top would be an AP clutch = £250. I know a good guy who will do head work for less than most places so how much am i looking at for getting the head polished and ported aswell as having the valves cleaned? :rolleyes:
MIK3Y
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Fezzy Turbo on Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:02 am

My car has 140k....ish on the clock :)

When you take the head off, you will need to replace the valve stem seals and remove all other parts. Get a jet/steam washer and blast your head to get rid of any dirt and carbon. Then send it away to get ported and polished. As for price of port and polish, i have no idea..........shop around. Then you put it all back together with new valves IF needed (£20 each for a exhaust valve) and new stem seals. If not just use your old ones after giving them a check over. Buy new head bolts from Ford.
Your only £150 - £175 for an Ap organic plate clutch, your pricing a Paddle type clutch which you wont need unless your going for much bigger power.
Greg : Owner of a FRST for 14yrs

2009 FRS2 : 377bhp ATW / 395lb/ft :)
1990 FRST : Sold.
Fezzy Turbo
Tartan Turbo Terror
Tartan Turbo Terror
Your car: mk2 Focus RS

Car: 2009 Ford Focus RS

Postby Quantum on Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:48 am

Good advise from Fezzy as usual :)

I pretty much went through the stages Fezzy has said, including eating the diff in the 'box 2 days after the setup :lol: My car has run really well since the chip (even though its a Superchip) and is nice a reliable. To keep it reliable do not play around with the boost or fueling unless you REALLY know what you are doing.

My car has neary 93k on the clock with the original turbo and block and it was chiped 1 year/13k ago.

Regards,
Stephen
Quantum
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.