[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
Tuning A 1.1 Fiesta : Tuning / Handling / Braking | Fiesta Forums

Tuning A 1.1 Fiesta

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Tuning A 1.1 Fiesta

Postby ~ John Reid ~ on Fri May 26, 2006 5:35 pm

Is there any way that i can possible tune or add more horses to my 1.1 fiesta without spending any money or as little money aspossible, the acceleration is poor and struggles getting up hills !!! :lol:
~ John Reid ~
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Gazeddy on Fri May 26, 2006 5:51 pm

first thing is to bin the engine and get a 1.3 or a 1.6
then get an inductio kit and a big exhaust

if your not gonna ditch your engine just drill your airbox the only way of slightly increasing acceleration without outlay of lots of money
1.6 si coming soon
5 Door Register
Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their heads out of car windows
Gazeddy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ~ John Reid ~ on Fri May 26, 2006 5:56 pm

sorry m8, im a bit dumb, where about it the air box nd how shall i drill it ?
~ John Reid ~
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Oranoco on Fri May 26, 2006 6:10 pm

Firstly greetings I see you're only just up the road from me :D

Secondly - No there is nothing you can do to get more ponies out that will be cheap. To be honest there is very little you can do spending a fortune that will give a noticeable gain.

To get a small improvement however you can change the exhaust back box for a less restrictive one (even a Peco will be an improvement) from £70, and replace your air filter with a K&N element (£30) Only drill the airbox if it is remotely mounted if you drill an airbox mounted on top of the engine you will draw in hot air from around the engine and cost yourself power.

Hope this helps mate

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Sat May 27, 2006 12:21 am

Not sure about drilling the airbox loosing power, i have holes round the back of mine.

Looking at the small pipe that comes of the airbox, that sits on the exhuast manifold and sucks up hot air from that area i think a few holes at the back would help!
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Merc CL500

Car: 2014 BMW M135i

Postby Badgerboy on Sun May 28, 2006 12:57 am

Max M4X WW :Not sure about drilling the airbox loosing power, i have holes round the back of mine.

Looking at the small pipe that comes of the airbox, that sits on the exhuast manifold and sucks up hot air from that area i think a few holes at the back would help!

Thats for cold starting, and is controlled by a heat/wax operated flap. When the wax melts, the flap shuts off the feed from the heaterbox, and draws air from the front of the pipe, which is pulling in fresh cold air from the front of the car.

Drilling the holes will pull hotter air in, as opposed the OEM 'cold air feed' at the front of the air box assembly.

Performance increase/decrease? It's unlikely you would notice it anyway.
Badgerboy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Max M4X WW on Sun May 28, 2006 11:15 am

I know, But the distance between one flap and the other is rather small. The front of the bay is hot cos of the exhaust! The size of that pipe thing is also quite small.
Max M4X WW
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Merc CL500

Car: 2014 BMW M135i

Postby edders on Sun May 28, 2006 11:59 am

one mod ive seen done was to get the airbox off a sierra pinto carbed version and use that as the airbox has a length of hose attached to it to begin with you can use it as a kind of induction kit
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

tuning the 1.1

Postby MK4 Rick on Mon May 29, 2006 10:59 am

i dont no if people will agree with me but dont waste money on the 1.1 with the money u have to tune the 1.1 give it to the insurance company and fit a 1.3 or a 1.6 to start.or walk which would be quicker than driving the 1.1(joking)but dont break ur self with money if u cant afford yet insurance stick in the 1.3 and add some style to ur car.be sensible mate.Rick :)
MK4 Rick
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: Mk5 Fiesta

Postby John_D on Mon May 29, 2006 11:22 am

gazeddy :if your not gonna ditch your engine just drill your airbox the only way of slightly increasing acceleration without outlay of lots of money

unless its carb'd in which case you cant :wink:
John_D
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby properphatboy on Mon May 29, 2006 11:26 am

John_D :
gazeddy :if your not gonna ditch your engine just drill your airbox the only way of slightly increasing acceleration without outlay of lots of money

unless its carb'd in which case you cant :wink:

Seems to make it rev a bit more freely, but no extra power.
properphatboy
Post Master
Post Master

Your car: Peugeot 306 D L

Postby edders on Wed May 31, 2006 1:03 pm

just wondering why you think you cant drill the airbox on a carb engined car ive ran a carb engine for about 1000 miles with a drilled airbox with no adverse effect if anything it gives you a little bit more poke and a great induction noise
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby xmadxmoex on Wed May 31, 2006 1:14 pm

i have a K&N that i used to have on my 1.1 £10 and its yours
xmadxmoex
Post Master
Post Master

Postby si 16valver on Wed May 31, 2006 6:03 pm

best thing i can think of is drilling a 2.5inch hole in the front bumper and buying a polished allou funnel having it mounted on the front bumper as low down as possible and then get a piece of alloy flexible tube and connect from funnel to induction box or carb this would help obviously not alot but you can always give it a try id personally get a 2.0 zetec in and not tell the insurance wo only joking :lol: last time i said that i got death threats
dont hate the playa hate the game
si 16valver
Post Master
Post Master

Postby Jimbo88 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:29 am

Hi, i also have a 1.1 fiesta carb, i was wondering whether putting a 1.3 head on would help? i need more speed, my m8 has a 1.1 205 and he slaughters me.

Thanks
Jimbo88
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Gazeddy on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:04 pm

why bother with the head when you can do the full engine. ive gone rom 1.1 to 1.3 and love it roll on 1.3-1.6-2.0
1.6 si coming soon
5 Door Register
Gazeddy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jimbo88 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:53 pm

i've drilled m box but i crnt tel the diffrence, would there be any improvement from a 1.3 head, theres a 1.3 down my road going for spares.
Fast as f**k Fiesta
Jimbo88
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Gazeddy on Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:59 pm

get the full engine in then not just the head. and you WILL notice a major difference miless better acceleration and bout 10-15 mph on your top end
1.6 si coming soon
5 Door Register
Gazeddy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Jimbo88 on Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:20 pm

the 1.3 engine has seized but he reckons he head is fine, is it worth getin the head, will there be a power gain, i no getin a 1.3 engine would be better tho.
Fast as f**k Fiesta
Jimbo88
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Gazeddy on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:25 pm

yeah its got bigger valves but dont know bout it fitting
1.6 si coming soon
5 Door Register
Gazeddy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby paradox on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:40 pm

In all honesty mate your wasting money trying to gain more power out of your engine
paradox
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby edders on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:09 pm

one of many sayings in the tuning world "theres no replacement for displacement"

aside from getting a bigger engine then theres really not much more you can do to a 1.1 without major expense

try the 1.3 valvehead on it it may work but be aware that your fuel efficiency may drop a bit as its allowing more fuel into the engine with bigger valves

a while back in passion ford or fast ford they were tuning the 1700 puma just by an induction change and some valvework i think they got another nearly 30bhp out of it so in all honesty find out if its safe and 'if you really want to do it then just say nuts to the guys on here. you may be the first one to attempt this
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby edders on Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:09 pm

one of many sayings in the tuning world "theres no replacement for displacement"

aside from getting a bigger engine then theres really not much more you can do to a 1.1 without major expense

try the 1.3 valvehead on it it may work but be aware that your fuel efficiency may drop a bit as its allowing more fuel into the engine with bigger valves

a while back in passion ford or fast ford they were tuning the 1700 puma just by an induction change and some valvework i think they got another nearly 30bhp out of it so in all honesty find out if its safe and 'if you really want to do it then just say nuts to the guys on here. you may be the first one to attempt this
8 slices, 4 Sandwiches.
edders
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Norro on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:09 am

ive got a 1.1 mate, ive written down a list of things i can do to the exterior, and interior, and im gonna change the engine over in a couple of years time when the insurance goes down a bit, i know its been said b4 but its probably your best bet!

oooooo Beasty
Norro
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Jimbo88 on Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Thanx for all ur advice :)
Fast as f**k Fiesta
Jimbo88
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Cfly on Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:14 pm

have u thought of a de-cat, or as i have done get a straight through pipe with a 3"cherry bomb back box, i did have a pipercross filter but it was 2 loud so it got removed, but i modified the air box, by take'n out all the flaps and crap blocking the pipe of the box on the inside and got sum flexi pipe and put it into the hole on the underside and ran it out under the bumper!
if u look closly u can c wot im talk'n about
dono if its made any difference, but the straight throught defnetly did!
Cfly
Poster
Poster

Tuning A 1.1 Fiesta

Postby Terror on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:28 pm

Hi, im new to this forum. Im level 2 NVQ qualified, still at college to do level 3 this September.

Engines combust better with cold moist air in the cylinders,(foggy/misty weather) so drilling holes in the actual air box will only draw warm - hot air in once the engine has warmed up. The best way to get more air in is connect a flow pipe on the front of the car & connect it to the air box, keeping the air filter in place,lol. Try give the car a service - oil & filter, plugs, air filter etc. Do the valve clearances - this makes a difference & makes the tapping go if it is done correctly - there is a ford way to do this - look it up. Also an exhaust will make a difference too, my standard exhaust was blowing from the downpipe so I replaced the whole exhaust with a new standard exhaust - I noticed a difference in performance.

You can get a K&N bolt on filter for these engines, I had one but went back to the standard filter & box, it didnt make much difference, apart from more noise, but to get the noise I had to floor it.

These engines don't have much power to start with, so you cant really gain on the Bhp/hp to notice a big enough difference. You could have the cylinders bored out & uprated valves, pistons etc etc, but that would cost more than it is worth, you could just replace the whole engine for less.

I have a fiesta 1.1 OHV carb, & I know that it cannot be made to go fast, if you want more Bhp/hp - you'll need to get another engine - 1.3/1.4/1.6 etc, or get another car with a bigger engine. I do like this engine - it is basic & rarely has any faults - aslong as it is serviced regulare - like any engine.

Daz.
Terror
Poster
Poster

Postby fogdoggydog on Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:23 pm

Howdy everyone!

I've just joined the forum, so please excuse any stupid questions I may have. I suppose my first post might as well be about getting more from my engine.

I've just got myself a 10-year-old 1.1 Mk3.5 (with 28,000 miles) for the grand sum of £400. Two previous pensioner owners, so I think the miles are genuine.

Anyway, if there isn't much I can do to the engine, how much will an engine transplant cost me? How much for an engine? How much for the labour to get it in and set up? And how much will the insurance company charge me for a upgrading the engine?
fogdoggydog
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby lucasdemoley on Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:31 pm

To change one of those engines is a pretty simple affair, and you could probs do it youself with a few mates, I did on my old 1.1 and i knew jack! I'm sure a 1.3 engine could be picked up for £50 or so if you look, maybe not from a scrappy, but just ask around and yopu'll find one. You could get a garage to fit it, but i'd put a rough figure at £200 to fit the engine.

Plus, with the 28k milles, are the seats worn at all, and does the seatbelt go back in slowly? If so its 128k!
Just because I keep talking about definetly doing it doesn't mean I'm actualy going to do it.
lucasdemoley
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby fogdoggydog on Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:39 pm

Hmmm, seats aren't worn at all, but i do need to feed the seat belt back! Dammit, it never even crossed my mind that it could have passed the magic 100,000 mark! But the gear box still seems pretty tight. Any other ways of telling?

You say you put a 1.3 in your car? How much did the insurance go up by?
fogdoggydog
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby lucasdemoley on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:34 am

Actualy soz, i changed the engine, but to another 1.1. Aslong as the gearbox fits and the engines are the same type i.e 1.1 hcs and 1.3 hcs then the wiring etc should all just fit in like the other engine, except maybe have to change the ecu. As said, i dont really know much about engines, but if they are the same, and an easy conversion (like the 1.6si to 2.0) then I'd say do it yourself. The engine is small too so its easier to move out of the car as you have the room.

tbh, I dont think your insurance would go up much. check with your company first though as some wont insure engine changes full stop, others work it on the power increas, no idea what the 1.3 is but say its 10bhp over the say 50bhp of the 1.1, then your insurance would go up by the % increase, so an extra 20%, others will just see it as a tiny change and just up the ins group to that of the 1.3, which probs wouldnt put up your insurance much. depends on your insurance company really.

I went with a fully recon 1.1 as my ins group wouldnt insure an upgraded engine, which didnt make much of a difference considdering it cost like £400, and then i wront the car off 7k miles later, so a big waste!
Just because I keep talking about definetly doing it doesn't mean I'm actualy going to do it.
lucasdemoley
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Terror on Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:40 am

fogdoggydog :Hmmm, seats aren't worn at all, but i do need to feed the seat belt back! Dammit, it never even crossed my mind that it could have passed the magic 100,000 mark! But the gear box still seems pretty tight. Any other ways of telling?

You say you put a 1.3 in your car? How much did the insurance go up by?

Hi...

Theres loads of ways of telling - steering wheel - is it worn & shiney?, pedal rubbers - are they worn?, stone chips on front of bonnet/bumper area?... gear stick - is that worn & shiney, is the light & indicator stalks worn (i.e - white writing worn off?), if it has a genuine 28,000 miles you should beable to tell just by looking at it, also the same if it has 128,000 miles, you can just tell...hope that helps.

Daz.
Terror
Poster
Poster

Postby fogdoggydog on Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:28 am

Everything is in tip-top condition. Everything you mentioned has no sign of wear. There is one stone chip on the bonnet. It really is in great condition. There are a couple of rust patches around the arches, but I think that is more related to the age than the mileage.

Thanks for helping to re-assure me about the age, Terror! :)

Anyway, back to the original topic, tuning of the mighty 1.1 engine...
fogdoggydog
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Terror on Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:31 pm

fogdoggydog :Everything is in tip-top condition. Everything you mentioned has no sign of wear. There is one stone chip on the bonnet. It really is in great condition. There are a couple of rust patches around the arches, but I think that is more related to the age than the mileage.

Thanks for helping to re-assure me about the age, Terror! :)

Anyway, back to the original topic, tuning of the mighty 1.1 engine...

Hi...

Thats good news then, you have got a good buy with that milage on.

Back to the original topic - read my above post,lol...

Daz. :lol:
Terror
Poster
Poster

Postby samm0 on Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:54 pm

never noticed before but theres quite a few people from hertfodshire, im from hemel
samm0
Poster
Poster

Next

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.