Tuning / finetuning ERST

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Postby Joris on Tue Jul 10, 2001 2:55 pm

Thanks to Kelvin,
we managed to set the fueling on my brothers RST higher (it chucks loads of fuel out now)
K&N have just supplied us with the Air-fuel ratio meter, so we can fine-tune it, to make it even going better.

All we basicly did was take the black box of the KE-inletside and adjusted the little screw to give more fuel.

It's running about 17 psi,
but still on standard intercooler, with one chip.
The so-called tuner adjusted the boost with a sort of bleed valve.
I don't think it's too bad, because it only connects the actuator to the original take-off pipe for the amal valve
(this is disconnected for the moment)
So I don't think the ECU gets fooled, since the pipe from the plenum? to the ford box still is original.

I tought with only a chip to get a reliable car, best thing is, get an uprated intercooler and turn the boost down to about 14psi ?
Will this still give the same power ?
And how much air-fuel ratio should it be running on full boost ?
I guess about lamba +1 or even +2 ?

Alot of questions, but we have to do everything ourselfes, since we already had a blown piston by some incompetent @ss who said he knew everything, and got it rollingroaded, my @ss
:wink:

Also, what can the original head-gasket take ?

P.S. When this car is finished and everything runs fine, I think I'll write up a little guide with do's and no's for the ERST. (for normal tuning, not the maniacal things :grin: )
Joris
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bassboy on Tue Jul 10, 2001 6:01 pm

aight m8...we meet again :wink: have u got a boost guage connected up? another thing, what else have u done to the engine? whats been done to the bottom end?

what chip have u got in the motor? what u wanna do is get an uprated intercooler, and turn the boost down to 15psi especially if the bottom end aint had alot of work! u will be getting a fair amount of power but will be a bit less then what u are getting at the moment. Thanx to the bigger intercooler, the engine will be running cooler so u will get a little increase in power...but with the boost turned down a couple of psi, u will notice the difference.

on full boost, u shoul dbe looking to have the CO level at around 3.5%...i'll find out what my cousin is running then i'll get back to u on that one.

the original head gasket will be able to handle around 16-18psi...well maybe not 18...but something around there...after that its time for an uprated item!

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby Joris on Wed Jul 11, 2001 11:43 am

I think for the moment it's running 5% CO on 3000 rpm :lol: (we wanted to be safe)

Almost everything connected up,
and boost goes to 1.2 bar (only in 4th and 5th)
The car goes to fast thru 1, 2, 3 to make more than 1 bar ? :bonkers:

No idea of what chip it is.
Standard bottom end (with one new piston :wink: )

I was already thinking of turning to boost down to 1bar e.g. 14 psi for the moment,
and that with an uprated intercooler / chargecooler, the power wouldn't decrease too much e.g. 3 psi less, but cooler, should be not a big difference ?
I know feck all, but the mechanics over here know even less, so I feel good :grin:
Joris
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bassboy on Wed Jul 11, 2001 3:13 pm

whatever u do Joris...make sure u dont run more than say 15/16 psi!! especially with a standard bottom end!! otherwise u'll be kissing that bottom end bye bye as well!! :wink: trust me, im talking from experience here!!

even when u get an uprated intercooler or chargecooler, make sure u dont run nething more than 16psi through the engine! otherwise u'll be kissing more pistons and conrods bye bye!

3 psi might not sound like much BUT my cousins ERST was running 15psi and hit 200bhp dead on, then it was set to 16psi and it was hitting 210bhp! and thats with 1psi increase! But this much gain doesnt occur all the time, it was just a one off type thing so dont expect that if u go down by 3psi u'll lose 30odd bhp! With the intercooler/chargecooler, and the boost set to around 15psi (u dont want [ERRR] more) the car wil be on fire still!! The only difference is that u aint gonna be stressing the bottom end as much and the whole engine will be running more efficient as safer as it will be cooler.

when u planning to go for the other intercooler?

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby b18jrk on Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:18 pm

joris ,which way do you turn the screw!!
b18jrk
Poster
Poster

Postby Joris on Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:46 pm

I've got the PTS instruction from Kelvin,
you can download them here :

http://web.wanadoo.be/rs2000/rsoc/chiperst.pdf

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joris on 2001-07-11 17:48 ]</font>
Joris
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.