Tunning for the 1.6Si

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Tunning for the 1.6Si

Postby MustangSally on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:15 pm

Got a 1.6Si and was wondering what is the best way to give it a bit more poke, two of my mates have just perchased Honda CRX's which are pretty awesome for 1.6's and im left chasing there tyre smoke as my fiestas no where near a match for there cars.
My car already has a cat back custom stainless exhaust with the middle box removed and a free flow sports back box fitted, i have modded on a universal K&N filter, one of the X-Stream ones with the little filter in at the end of the cone aswell as the pleated sides. Thats as far as my engine mods go and i wanted to know if ny one had advice on what to do nxt, its my understanding that the zetec 1.6 e is quite a restrictive engine?how much does it cost to get it to its full potential or is it simpler to go for a engine transplant - 2.0 zetec for instance?
Thanks Rich

P.S. im a new member of the forum but will get a pic of my car attatched to profile as soon as i can blag my mates camera for a bit. :)
SPEED KILLS,
BUT GETS YOU THERE FASTER
MustangSally
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby DaveZetec on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:25 pm

As you will probably have noticed, tuning does little to help the 1.6 zetec.

To put a 2.0 zetec in you are looking at about £350/400 + labour.
Cheap for 40bhp :) and strangely enough increased fuel economy too!

consider putting an RS1800 gearbox in if you can find one. the 1.6si rations are apparently a bit short for a 2.0 engine
DaveZetec
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MustangSally on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:29 pm

i had noticed there a bit queer at the moment 1st and 2nd go on for ages, 2nd is at 70mph + if dont mind givin it the revs but then 3rd to 5th are well short toppin out at the 120mph mark if the speedo is true.
SPEED KILLS,
MustangSally
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby DaveZetec on Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:47 pm

Out of interest, is yours proper flat around 4500? mine used to just hit a wall, it was awful!

70 in 2nd! pushing it a bit like but i do recall seeing 60 in 2nd.. i think!

just got my old one running again, new waterump and cambelt. started on the key after nearly 7 months stood!
DaveZetec
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MustangSally on Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:04 pm

havent noticed any flat spots since filter and the zorst went on pulls smoothly all the way really :) which is nice!
seriously its good for at least 70 in 2nd you just have to be ready to make the shift before it bounces off the rev limiter, only done that once oops :rolleyes:
If u give it a proper ranting the old Si can suprise a lot of things on the road specially the handling, had a 35mm drop on PI springs but i swear it was more like 55mm at the front, just eats things on roundabouts and wiggly stuff.
one of my mates has a saxo vtr on avo adjustables and you seriously have to ride in the thing to believe the awsome grip that it has, its like a go kart!
Clean star after 7 months thats mint, good to see that the Fix Or Repair Daily thing isnt always true, :lol:
Rich
SPEED KILLS,
MustangSally
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Snyx on Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:13 pm

Well you know as they say MustangSally,

There is no replacement for displacement...

Unless you have VTEC 8) 8) 8)
Snyx
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Sunil_FiestaRS_16V on Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:17 pm

Snyx :Unless you have VTEC 8) 8) 8)

or a turbo
or a supercharger
or nos
Sunil_FiestaRS_16V
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Location: Slough. 2.0 with Raceline head, Raceline cams, T.E Exhaust manifold, and more...

Postby Snyx on Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:18 pm

True, i'm coming from a distinctly Honda point of view here, forgot about all those other things :)
Snyx
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby MustangSally on Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:36 pm

well maybe i should try and put the 2.2 prelude v-tec in my Si, now that would be a hard core mod!!
but for all the trouble of that i could get a cossy lump in there im sure!
ah well will have to wait till im workin a bit more in the summer to afford any real hard core mods for my car :P
rich
SPEED KILLS,
MustangSally
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Snyx on Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:27 pm

I'm sure a 2l zetec engine will do you fine Mustang 8)
Snyx
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Fiestasi-Andy on Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:04 pm

go go go 2L
My Bad!

Sorry
Fiestasi-Andy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby JayJay on Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:31 pm

MAte got eh same problem...i ahev da asme car...i asked suomone bout the 2 litre and he rekons ya cant fit one in the si engine bay!! and this was a mechanic!! who knows wot his talkin bout!! go 2 litre mate!! u will feel more power!! just remember ull have to uprate tings like breaks etc..so may mean ur lukin bout £1000 for full conversion..actually aint that bad come to tink bout it, i may do it :lol:
JayJay
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby MADMATT on Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:23 am

http://www.fiestaturbo.com/phpBB/viewto ... =mmogenius

is the man for two litre conversions and at those prices i think everyone on here should get one :D

and remember your insurance will only go up to a group 9 :wink:

hope this helps

matt
Nothin more nothin less
MADMATT
Post Master
Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.