URGENT- Strange one

Problem or technical question?

URGENT- Strange one

Postby MarkRS2K on Sun May 21, 2006 6:10 pm

Alright people, got a problem with the FRST

Right when in 5th gear revs wont go beyond 3.5k, somethings really pushing me back, Turbo boosts fine in all gears and 1-4 gears are fine? Checked the plugs, they seem okish, could do with changing as they are a bit burnt, but could this be my problem, seems to easy :rolleyes:

Also when i de-accelerate i get a whining nosie when using the car to slow me down by putting it into 3rd and 2nd?

Both pissing me off.

Any suggestions?

cheers :)
MarkRS2K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby j7aoc on Sun May 21, 2006 6:35 pm

Don't think is sound's like the plug's but worth a go what's the gearbox like age/miles
j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby MarkRS2K on Sun May 21, 2006 6:45 pm

ill change the plugs and see what happens i suppose? Also gona check the chip connection, and map sensor/hoses into it.

The gearbox is the same one that has been on the car since ive had it, no idea on age or milage, but it has taken a battering :) Do you reckon the whinning is a slow sign of its death?
MarkRS2K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RS_-_1800 on Sun May 21, 2006 6:49 pm

You have almost certainly got gearbox problems mate...Im no expert but it sounds like its on the way out. They are prone to going on the FRST

As for not letting the car go above 3.5k revs, it may be becuase your clutch is slipping

Worst case scenario is that you might need a new clutch and a new box
RS_-_1800
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby XR_Craig on Sun May 21, 2006 6:56 pm

Won't be clutch as it'd be building up revs. I would say the whine is the box though.

Not sure on the other problem.
XR_Craig
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby j7aoc on Sun May 21, 2006 7:01 pm

XR_Craig :Won't be clutch as it'd be building up revs. I would say the whine is the box though.

Not sure on the other problem.
As craig said i would say two problem mate
j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby heeman10 on Sun May 21, 2006 7:03 pm

The whining is certainly a sign that the gearbox has had enough of the punishment. Main bearing starts whining during engine braking or just on lift-off. Can you get another one sorted for Ford Fair and Trax?

The clutch isn't slipping, revs would go above 3,500 then, as you well know now! :lol:

As you've said, check for leaks. Boost hoses and any other air-carrying hoses. What does it do? Does boost drop off in fifth or what? Will it climb past 3,500 if you only use part-throttle and let speed build gradually? How does it hit the "wall"? If you take it to a test track and red line it in 4th will it drop down from 5,000rpm (or whatever the revs drop to in 5th) or will it maintain speed etc? Just trying to work out exactly what it does :)
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby XR_Craig on Sun May 21, 2006 7:10 pm

Just a thought.

Surely if it was ignition/map related there would be symptoms in every gear? Can't hurt to change plugs and check everything though.
XR_Craig
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Brammer on Sun May 21, 2006 7:54 pm

GEARBOX without a shadow of doubt.... stop doing quarter runs and rolling road sessions :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brammer
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Sierra Cosworth

Postby MarkRS2K on Sun May 21, 2006 8:10 pm

:lol: :lol: - it has taken a hammering to say the least.

Heeman- yes i am a pro when it comes to clutch slip, im sure il be able to source a lsd S2 box by FF, just a shame it started now and not before it all came off 2 weks ago :rolleyes:

Every gear is fine apart from 5th, its strange as the boost peaks and runs to what it would normally, as we all know the T2 spins up bloody quick, it hit maximum boost then around the 3.5k mark it hits the wall, doesnt matter how hard or soft i accelerate it will still hit it and hold back. Im gonna go to the ''test track'' and redline in 4th then go into 5th and see what happens............... :cry:
MarkRS2K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby MarkRS2K on Sun May 21, 2006 8:42 pm

just got back, this really is strange, from what i could tell it wasnt doing it at all, it was driving normally, just before i went out i popped the bonnet and just made sure the MAP sensor pipe was in both ends properly and then set off, first off i redlined it in 4th then changed up and fine, then accelerated in 5th from about 45mphish and it seemed fine, couldnt tell 100% as the rain was comin down pretty hard but il try again tomorrow if its dryer and see then.

Whining still there, spoke to a mate who done the clutch and he said start looking for a new one and keep driving until it goes.

:)
MarkRS2K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Mon May 22, 2006 10:44 am

Here's hoping it was just that hose then :) Happy days! :D It'd be interesting to see how long the gearbox lasts from now to the end..but I think it'd be best to replace it before it does completely give up..don't want to risk the damage associated with towing etc! Namely..strains to the face!!

"Ok James, when you're ready"

*creeps away slowly to let the rope pull tight*

"You ok back there Mark?"

"umm..yeah.. :aaah: :oooh: :o :cry: :oooh:"

:lol: :p
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby MarkRS2K on Mon May 22, 2006 11:04 am

Yeah hopefully mate, gonna change the plugs as they could with it, then clean some of the sensors and just keep an eye on it.

With the box, im in the process of sourcing a S2 lsd box, in the mean time im gonna top up the oil as it only whines every now and again

:)
MarkRS2K
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Growler on Mon May 22, 2006 11:10 am

initial views on this would be timing but that would happen in all gears

only other think i can think of is back pressure from exhaust

the whining i have heard before when a bat breaks up and a lump partially blocks the flexicoupling so gases are pushed back but as far as i am aware there yu dont have this on yurs

had the exhaust problem on my mondy ages back got the whine with revs and couldnt go over certain revs in higher gears

but as i said yu dont have this

just rambling now
Mint H Plate XR2i in Black
Growler
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.