vibrating at 95MPH onwards..

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

vibrating at 95MPH onwards..

Postby JayC on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:12 pm

ive just ditched steels for alloys.. and they vibrate stupid comming on around 100MPH.. all tested on a rolling road of course, the rollers are coated in tarmac tho :)

now.. theres one thing with these alloys, when i opened one there was only 2 weights on the wheel... the other 3 have piles of them stuck on top of each other??

ive removed the center caps.. i dont know if this will make much difference or not but they were proberly balenced with them on.

there new so come with the full balance etc..

so i guess the only thing i can do is get them balenced.. i need to have the tracking done anyway so ill have them both done together..

however im faced now with a few problems..

1. the wheels might be f**cked beyond any sort of reasonable balence (manufactoring fault etc)
2. the weights have already come off..
3. the removal of the center caps has put them out of balence
4. the plastic spigot rings? but i know there fitted perfect i put them in.
5. the drivetrain could be f**cked.. ive noticed the normal sense of vibration is sort of hightened since i done an oil and coolant change last weekend. but its running sweet, quiet, so ide defo look towards the gearbox before the engine.

what im wondering is.. does anyone know how easy it is for a numpty at the wheel shop to completly off balence them?
the weight mass to a percent (im not going outside its cold) is sort the first wheel being 10% the others being around 90% assuming all wheels are pretty much identical this doesent seem right, unless they had to compensate for the s**t tyres (which actually done very well earlier in the wet)

all a bit ghey considering the steels were perfectly balenced.. still got the ford weights on.. 120MPH felt safe...
Last edited by JayC on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Project62 ~ my baby
2Liter Fiesta Si Thread:)
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: vibrating at 95MPH onwards..

Postby JayC on Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:16 pm

hmm.. if im getting them balenced.. i think i might just go and take them off and just stick on the same as the first wheel i opened which was one large and one small weight.. back on?

in the center of the original PILE of weights so im round about the right area?
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby hb69 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:14 am

its not easy to get them off balance. the machine tells you exactly where to put the weight. for peace of mind you could get them done again. but from experience not balancing them correctly is hard to do.
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby JayC on Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:46 pm

hmm.. thats hmm.

well, im going to get them balanced and get the tracking done on friday in time for a local drag day so im just hoping ive lost some weights or i dunno..

i just hope its not the wheels.. :(
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby j7aoc on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:39 am

Not read all what has been posted but the cluch can some times make the car vibrate there was some one of passionford that had it on the cossy my first thing would be the wheels
j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby 0010 on Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:09 pm

are there more than 60g weights on each side of the wheel? also putting weights on weights shouldnt really be done.
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Your car: BMW E30 318is

Postby JayC on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:00 pm

ill find out.. i dont think its the clutch althought thats a very valid statement, but until i put these wheels on it was ok..
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby JayC on Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Front Driver : 100g
Front Passenger : 60g
Rear Driver: 120g
Rear Passenger: 35g

thats the order of the weights as fitted currently.

the fitting order is random, its not either side, for instance say the 120g wheel... ide say 100g is at 12 o clock, and at 10 o clock you would have another 10g and 2 5g weights.. but the first 'lump' of weights is on the outer edge of the wheel, the 10 and two 5's are on the inner edge.

so if theres some sort of counterbalence rule that it should be weights at 12 o clock and 6 o clock.. then they are not set up this way.
Im going to the tyre center tomorow morning and im going to get the tracking and balence done.. we will see what the outcome is :rolleyes:
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Re: vibrating solved :) thanks chaps.

Postby JayC on Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:46 pm

it was the balencing.. basicaly it was done in the most nutsack way possible, 1 of the wheels had 60g's excess weight and generaly the whole positioning and 'stacking' of the weights was crap on all wheels.

so i had to have all 4 wheels re-balenced, and at the same time i had the tracking done which had more toe out than jack and the beanstalk.

took it strait up the tarmic rollers i first noticed it on, was pulling the same speed at the same spot as it was shaking and it was perfect.

so time to post another reputation blow :D
Project62 ~ my baby
JayC
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.