water injection

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

water injection

Postby ~Tony~ on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:29 am

how does it work?

what are the pro's and cons of it?

and is it worth it?
still need to update this sig
~Tony~
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: FRST, FRS mk1, Defender 90

Postby sailorbob on Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:34 am

Pros - when it works, it works
Cons - difficult to get mapped properly so as to not lose power in certain rev/load ranges
Last edited by sailorbob on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ianFRST on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:33 am

works well on cossie management. i know jano has got it sussed in relation to it working on his cars :D
No longer a FRST owner, or even a Fiesta owner :(
ianFRST
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:13 am

well even if FT search isnt working for you doesnt stop you searching google,
sorry to hassle you but your asking questions that are very common across forums, and very easy to find on the internet.

look at aquamist site, there technical information is very good, just bare in mind they are going to be biased on its results

as for weather it is worth it for you (which is quite a reasonable question)
depend on you desired spec. which i have no idea of so i cant really comment

but imo water injection is a last resort to bring inlet temps down when you have exhausted all other routes, ie huge cooler, insulation, ceramic coating etc etc

unless you really want to keep your physic appearance of your car standard and need to bring your temps and then i think its ok to
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby ~Tony~ on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:10 pm

FezzR i can see your point but also the fact that there is a phpbb full of useful people with non biased opinions from all different backgrounds is valuable and everyone is entitled to question and be answered.

i know it would make you life a lot happier if everyone used the search function and never posted anything but new topics. have you ever considered that a high proportion of the posts cluttering are you saying use the search function

but information and opinions change over time.

also someone selling a product will be highly biased and want to sell me that product. not what i need and want.

i also see that there are repeat posts and questions asking the same thing.

and posts that cover the same thing everyday are annoying but... afaik this isn't a frequently covered topic like whats the difference between mk3 and mk3.5 and will these wheels fit etc.

in my time on this board in any post i have made you have never offered a useful reply or response to me, i also find what you do post as tedious and repetative as you find repeat posts.
~Tony~
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Farooq on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:12 pm

ooo handbags :lol: :lol:
Farooq
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby AdrianFRST on Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:16 pm

What Fezzr means is you can search Google to find out how it works, and the (few) pros and (many) cons.

But to answer your question it's a poor substitute for an improper cooling system and something you should never need in a well designed installation.
AdrianFRST
Baby Battle Scratch
Baby Battle Scratch

Your car: ..? Pretty car..!

Car: 2010 Ford Focus RS

Postby ~Tony~ on Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:08 pm

thankyou for a post that contains the information requested. i do know what was meant but i wanted people off heres opinions :D

thankyou for your answers though
~Tony~
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:01 pm

Tony, that is why didnt just leave it as me moaning, i gave you information aswell

FezzR :imo water injection is a last resort to bring inlet temps down when you have exhausted all other routes, ie huge cooler, insulation, ceramic coating etc etc

and a lot more helpful than Farooq comments
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby Farooq on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:03 pm

i was only kidding am i bad :bonkers:
Farooq
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby GavStyli on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:16 pm

injects a fine water mist into your crossover pipe pipe bit..
depending on what management your running etc u can have it turning on when the acts go above a certain temp or at a certain boost pressure so when your not giving it throttle, its not used.
some people use it on high powered cars and on track days more for safety measures.
but it dont give u extra power and its a bit cr@p!"
bigger intercooler is the way to go tony
GavStyli
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta Turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby mrviper on Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:49 pm

im my case with a 9.5c/r it's alowed me to advance the ignition on the rolling road and give me more power! and run over a bar of boost safely

it can stop your car detonating and is nothing new they was using it on the old plaines in the 1st world war for that bit of extra umph in an emergency

but if u was going to bung it on to a std turbo car it woldnt make any difference unless you have omex 600 etc.. to make use of it
mrviper
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:05 am

Some strange replies in here :-? Water injection is pretty much there to cool the charge temps down. There's only so much you can do with an intercooler (imagine the temperature you induce by pressurising air to 40+psi) so water injection's a good way of taking a few more degrees out of the air. I see it as just one more way of squeezing performance out of a race/high performance engine, be it by allowing higher boost pressures without increasing engine temperature by too much, or by preventing/reducing the problem of detonation.
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby sailorbob on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:28 am

IMO it can be a very good way of reducing temps and allowing more power but it is hard to get right all of the time and quite a few of the 'before and after' rolling road test results I've seen lose out over quite a rev range and I think that's a questionable gain overall.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby OddKidd on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:49 am

All of you missed the most important part of Water Injection.

It has nothing to do with power or high boost etc.. At least not on my setups.

If for instance you have had the car running on the spot for X amount of time, what ever engine setup you have it WILL suffer from heatsoak and higher temps while at a stand still.

Now if you have a good engine build and can run 26psi + as some of our cars do. If you was to get in the car after standing on the spot and give full throttle with maximum boost the charge air temps would be through the roof. (Even with the biggest intercooler) Just because it has not had enough time to cool down untill you drive for X amount of time/distance.

If you have WI whatever happens the ACTs will not be above the set value. Hence not causing any damage.

Now use this example for situations like santapod where your car is running for 30mins on the spot before you have to thrash it to the end of the 1/4 mile.

Or after you have been waiting in the que at McDonalds.. :lol:

Hope this helps
Regards
Jano
OddKidd
Poster
Poster

Postby OddKidd on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:15 pm

Anyone got anything to add?
OddKidd
Poster
Poster

Postby FezzR on Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:04 pm

OddKidd :Anyone got anything to add?
well there is loads of things that could be said, but its pretty much covered.

end of the day its an individual choice and for 80% people its not needed (wouldnt be used in the manner you describe it) as they are not at that state of tune

from what i see on forums though like a lot of mods its either used to counter-act a problem instead of fixing it effiecently, or its just fitted so it can be added to the spec list
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.