[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 191: Undefined array key 2
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4338: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4339: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4340: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3825)
What do we think of skimming? : Tuning / Handling / Braking | Fiesta Forums

What do we think of skimming?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

What do we think of skimming?

Postby Robz_Fester on Sat Oct 26, 2002 5:05 pm

Probably got to take the head off my new engine so what does everyone reckon to getting it skimmed / polished at the same time? I know increasing the compression is a bit dodge, but I reckon it ashould be ok if its only done a little and a nice little power increase as well :D

The engines an rs 1800 if that helps?

Cheers. :bonkers:
Robz_Fester
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby bassboy on Sat Oct 26, 2002 9:14 pm

i reckon go for it as long as u stay within tolerances. my cousin has an xr2 with a stage 3 head which he has just given to vulcan engineering to get skimmed...vulcan reckon a 5bhp increase!!!! if thats the score...im all for it!

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby 285Andy on Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:15 pm

nowt wrong with skimming a head on a N/A engine :wink:

PPL, f*****g over music listners since 1934
285Andy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: fiesta rs turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby MadcatCraig on Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:22 am

wont make a difference dood

skiming is only an issue with turbo charged engines.

A N/A engine has to have a high compression ratio in order to actively suck the air into an engine.

Whereas on a turbo lump its forced in thus the lower compression !

you will only need headskimmed if its overheated and or been warped !

also headwork on a zetec has to be very specific as the valves can f**k up on overlap.

not really that much point as you havent got more air going into the engine and so not got more coming out !

for the money it will cost very little to no gain is to be had !
MadcatCraig
BANNED SELLER

Postby Excursion on Sun Oct 27, 2002 11:43 am

Craig, what you just posted was a load of cr@p :rolleyes:

having his head skimmed will give a good benefit, just be careful on the stock ECU, dont go too far.

Skimming a zetec head wont cause any problems, generally speaking unless a belt breaks on an 1800 there is rarely contact, you can go about 5 teeth out either way before anything bad happens.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby rs125 on Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:56 pm

MadcatCraig :
not really that much point as you havent got more air going into the engine and so not got more coming out !

WTF does that mean lol :rolleyes:
rs125
Post Master
Post Master

Postby rs125 on Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:18 pm

rs125 :
MadcatCraig :

WTF does that mean lol :rolleyes:

Ive just had a think about what you mean by this and i THINK i have figured it out?

Thing is you don't nead more air going in to get more power as you have raised the compresion so the air (same amount as before) and fuel get compresed more which creates a bigger bang which = more power ..
Obviously if you can get more air / fuel in that would give you more power also - thats why you have the head polished and ported ..

eg - if you had two identical engines (apart from compresion ratio)
one engine has a c/r of 11:1
one engine has a c/r of 11.5:1

If the same amount of air and fuel was going into each engine the one with the higher compresion would make the most power .
rs125
Post Master
Post Master

Postby MadcatCraig on Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:35 pm

Mark if you read robs original post !

i was refering to the comment about the head being skimmed being a bit dodge, as it can be on turbo engines.

I also said that the higher the compression on a N/A engine can benefit by drawing more air in !

RS125 what i mean is

if more air goes into the cylinders more gas has to come out thats where increasing the valve size can help.

Mark if you think what i say is a load of crap then thats what i was told by the guy who sorted my CVH and zetec head out !
MadcatCraig
BANNED SELLER

Postby 285Andy on Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:01 pm

if you gonna take the head off anyway it'll cost ya approximatly 30-50 quid to have it skimmed. not mojor money. i would say it might be worth investing in vernier cam pulleys to get the best timing outa it though as it will be altered after

forgot, maybe the cam pulleys are non woodruff keyway anyway (like the later zetecs) in which case, forget the pulleys :bonkers:

PPL, f*****g over music listners since 1934
285Andy
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: fiesta rs turbo

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby Excursion on Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:34 pm

Craig I do think it's a load of crap - raising compression is a good way of achieving more power

Andy - yeah no need for verniers on zetecs they are not woodruffed!
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby Robz_Fester on Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:27 pm

Wikkid.

I reckon I'll go for it then. How much does anyone suggest having it done? I've never really looked into this before so have got no idea whatsoever :rolleyes: Rather have you guys tell me than some dumb ass mechanic trying to get me money :wink:

Cheers :)
Robz_Fester
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby icecool on Thu Oct 31, 2002 1:09 am

Speak to either Magnum Engines or D&R James. There on the Nuffield Industrial Estate. Highly recommend them, Magnum did my head and James are currently doing the block, pistons and crank.
Coming soon!!!!
icecool
Post Master
Post Master

Postby snake on Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:55 am

I would go 11-1, watch out for pinkin

As for verniers, unless u mark em up yourself, lol have to be precise, buy a set, lighter and pre-marked.
snake
Trainee Burger Flipper
Trainee Burger Flipper

Your car: ford

Postby bassboy on Thu Oct 31, 2002 10:57 am

if ur from london (dont think u are?)..i would go to Vulcan Engineering...they do all of our headwork and sort u out with a very very good price!

bassboy
bassboy
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader

Postby PF Dave on Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:11 pm

Put it this way a guy I know has a racing car thats an xr2i in there class they are allowed to skim to correct tollerances, lets say he has donea few headgaskets and it has been severely skimmed - On a STANDARD engine it made 104bhp @ wheels with just rasied compression and better injectors.

Skimming on N/A is VERY much worth doing...my new engine has had 80 thou taken off the block to raise it to 11:1 compression ratio and the difference is very noticeable as everything is instant, it basically means a better burn so you get a bigger bang.

therefore other mods aside its worth doing regardless of what air and fuel you have in and out, that can only add to it :)
PF Dave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Robz_Fester on Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:16 pm

What do you reckon I can expect out of:

RS 1800 engine running 11:1
Decat pipe
K&N panel
Full powerflow exhaust?

Look slik eI will be doing it :D Gotta wait for funds though :cry: Christmas :) :aviator: :bonkers:
Robz_Fester
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby wildheart on Sat Nov 02, 2002 2:45 pm

Correct me if im wrong but im sure Ford dont recomen skimming the zetec heads :-?
wildheart
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: 3dr Cosworth,S1 RST,Fiesta XR2

Postby PF Dave on Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:22 pm

If the head warps after head gasket failure for example you would have to or bin the head, of if you buy second hand and want to make sure its within tollerances.

I suggest as I am, and take it off the block in any case though! :)
PF Dave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby ArronXR2i on Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:53 pm

wow 104 bhp @ the wheels! :o

that is impressive! :)
ArronXR2i
Previously Moosey
Previously Moosey

Postby Project on Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:24 pm

My only concern would be how the management might react to having the CR changed - Mark and Snake mentioned not going too far on the stock ECU and I think it's probably best to err on the side of caution.

A light skim will definitely make it feel a load better.

I think Craig's been smoking instant gasket again :lol: :D
<< I need to put something here, yer? >>
Project
fiftyoneCL
fiftyoneCL

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.