Whats the best coilover kit for a FRST

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Whats the best coilover kit for a FRST

Postby RyanHughes on Sat May 05, 2007 6:31 pm

Im about to buy a coilover kit for my fez but im unsure which is the best one to buy. I was going to get the Avo one but by the sounds of it I fancy keeping my fillings in my teeth :lol: . Does any one have a recommendation ?
RyanHughes
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby allinking on Sat May 05, 2007 7:37 pm

I've found my AVO's ok if you set them firm then they are VERY firm but on the soft setting for bumppy runs there better than some of the fixed kits but I dont like the grub scews in the adjustment cup there crap if you dont undo em every week lol. If I had the cash I'd go GAZ
allinking
Post Master
Post Master

Postby vx220 on Sat May 05, 2007 11:45 pm

i love my gaz!
vx220
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby essexracing1 on Sun May 06, 2007 11:50 am

all i have used be for is AVO's and i have put them on 3 of my old cars now and puting a set on my new fiesta to as you can drive the car and feels a lot beter then some of the coilovers on the market at mo
essexracing1
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Raymondo on Sun May 06, 2007 12:45 pm

How much have you got to spend?
Raymondo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RyanHughes on Sun May 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Around the £700 mark. But I would be willing to spend more if the kit was worth the extra £££
RyanHughes
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Raymondo on Sun May 06, 2007 6:39 pm

For that price range GAZ are proboly going to be best. I think theyre around the £500 mark. Ive got H&R's on mine, which are very good, they have Bilstein gas inserts and go for over £1k so youd have to save a bit more.

Out of interst what makes you want coilovers? Thought about Koni TA's?
Raymondo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Sun May 06, 2007 7:21 pm

I steered clear of Avo when hunting around for coilovers, since their customer service reputation and build quality seemed well below average (hearing of leaking dampers, followed by them not being keen/refusing to take back the failed unit for repair/replacement).

My Gaz setup has been precisely what I wanted. I never have them fully-soft or fully firm, yet they still span the operating settings I want. Give Dampertech a call in Yorkshire and speak to Dave, mine were around the £550 mark including delivery and plating :)
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby RyanHughes on Sun May 06, 2007 7:51 pm

Im after coil overs as I'm running 16" wheels and at the moment they are rubbing on the suspension turret. £1k for H&R thats alot of money but I bet it was worth the cost.
RyanHughes
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby RyanHughes on Sun May 06, 2007 7:54 pm

My Gaz setup has been precisely what I wanted. I never have them fully-soft or fully firm, yet they still span the operating settings I want. Give Dampertech a call in Yorkshire and speak to Dave, mine were around the £550 mark including delivery and plating

Thanks for that I'll give them a try. I think the GAZ is the best one for me. :D
RyanHughes
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby RyanHughes on Sun May 06, 2007 7:57 pm

Thought about Koni TA's?

Any infomation about these ?
RyanHughes
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Oranoco on Mon May 07, 2007 10:15 am

Coilovers seem to be a bit of a buzz word mod on here and most of the time they simply aren't needed. Koni t/a's are about half the price of coilovers but a whole load better suited to road use. If you're going to be spending most of your time on track then coilovers are the business. If however you are going to be using the car on the pot hole network we call our roads I wouldn't consider coilovers for a moment (I don't even use coilovers on my track car). I know of two very well respected Fiesta owners who have removed coilovers from their road cars and reverted back to shock and springs.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby RyanHughes on Mon May 07, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks Oranoco I understand what you are saying as I agree it is alot of money for suspension. But I have heard using them over comes alot of the rubbing and catching when fitting bigger wheels. I know for a fact I cant fit my 16" at the mo (ok they are running on 205/55) but later on I may fit bigger wheels for show use and I dont fancy paying twice for suspension.

Like the comment about the roads, you hit the nail on the head there (and we pay for the maintence in Road Tax YEAH RIGHT) where is the money going ??? I will be using it on the track, well once I have rated the stoppers as they struggle to stop me now.
RyanHughes
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Oranoco on Mon May 07, 2007 3:49 pm

16's will be fine on normal struts you will need to choose tyres carefully (ideally a 195/40/16) and rims that are the correct offset (ideally ET35) and no wider than 7J.

Coilovers aren't a magic cure for crap wheel choice, although many people seem to think so.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Basse on Mon May 07, 2007 4:15 pm

Hi,

Oranoco: Could you write som more around "coilovers vs. shock/spring"..?
I found what you wrote very interesting.. :D

Sebbe
Basse
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby j7aoc on Mon May 07, 2007 4:32 pm

Oranoco :16's will be fine on normal struts you will need to choose tyres carefully (ideally a 195/40/16) and rims that are the correct offset (ideally ET35) and no wider than 7J.

Coilovers aren't a magic cure for crap wheel choice, although many people seem to think so.
I had 16's (ET35) on my fiesta xr2i lowered 35mm and they did rub that was after i removed load's of plastic The wheel where new and so was the pi suspension kit. It only got better when i went for 195/45/r16 to 195/40/r16. If it was me then i would go GAZ but my Avo's have been so good and make my car handle like a dream. I wouldn't buy them new as heeman said there customer service reputation is pant's the good thing about coilovers is that if you ever wanted to go for 15" wheels you can lower the car to meet the rubber
j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby RyanHughes on Mon May 07, 2007 5:03 pm

I'm running Et40 sadly off a Mondeo and it was rubbin
RyanHughes
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Postby Oranoco on Mon May 07, 2007 8:39 pm

You can fit some 3-5mm spacers to bring things out a smidge and give you the clearance you need.

Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Basse on Mon May 14, 2007 12:11 am

Oranoco :Coilovers seem to be a bit of a buzz word mod on here and most of the time they simply aren't needed. Koni t/a's are about half the price of coilovers but a whole load better suited to road use. If you're going to be spending most of your time on track then coilovers are the business. If however you are going to be using the car on the pot hole network we call our roads I wouldn't consider coilovers for a moment (I don't even use coilovers on my track car). I know of two very well respected Fiesta owners who have removed coilovers from their road cars and reverted back to shock and springs.

Could you write down more about this... Since I`m on my way to buy new suspension setup to my car soon...
My car will be a road car but will be taken to track sometimes, and I want it handle very well in tight corners and high speed.. :)

Its a XR2 mk2...

Sebbe
Basse
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.