wrc block

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

wrc block

Postby frstlad on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:26 pm

hi, i have got a wrc bottom end from ian howell, its a proper one and not the wrc style ones,

now i am after some parts, can anyone point me in the right direction to get parts for it? saves me keep having to bug ian!!

its a duratec so any parts that will fit it, ie, water/oil pump etc

cheers
frstlad
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Your car: fiestas

Postby j7aoc on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:38 pm

j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby frstlad on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:41 pm

ive seen that one, there on abot the other style, that looks like a normal block, ill have to get some pics of it as its a mad block, its a real wrc block and looks different to that other one, gunna need one hell of a head gasket lol

ur see what i mean by the pics, good luck is the words lol, as its going 4wd :oooh:
frstlad
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby j7aoc on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:47 pm

:-? n There on about the wrc block's that were sold on ebay not to long ago by area 6 (Ian Howell) didn't think there was different type's going around :-?
j7aoc
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Car: 1991 Ford Fiesta RS Turbo

Postby frstlad on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:50 pm

o i didnt think that they was, the ones ian sold were real ones and i have one, i got it off him, didnt go through ebay thank god lol

u can buy the wrc stle ones that are quiet cheap but i no these need alot of work, but im doing 4wd conversion so its no prob as the work will be done any way
frstlad
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:54 pm

Why didn't you get Ian to spec and sell you everything you need? :-?
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby frstlad on Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:57 pm

because he didnt have much left, may have a water pump, i got 2nd dibs on it (sunny has 1st dibs on it)

it was just after xmas and i was skint, only had enough for the block and deals like that dont come around oftern, what i need is to find where i can get the parts or what stock (uprated) parts will fit it
frstlad
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:12 pm

Ian's still the man I would've said, have you approached him?
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby essexrsturbo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:49 am

:Q
essexrsturbo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby frstlad on Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:39 pm

yeah i emailed him but no reply, i will be going up that way nxt weekend so i will have to ask, as i am dropping my head off again for its final stages, then he would have done everything to that head he can! should be a fun set up to run when done
frstlad
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby essexrsturbo on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:53 am

check the other thread mate, i've got the block you talking about, what do you need to know?
essexrsturbo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby frstlad on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:52 am

essexrsturbo, do you have msn mate?

where abouts in essex are you from?
frstlad
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Excursion on Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:28 pm

2 words - good luck!

To end the confusion here a CGI block is not a true WRC block - it's the same casting and same material but that's where the similarity ends. A CGI casting is pretty much pointless in a normal ZT build, it will only serve to give you a lightly sweeter engine and a bit more refinement. CGI was specced by Cosworth to retain strength after the WRC block has been heavily modified to accept liners.

There was also a spacer plate fitted to WRC blocks so the stroke could be lengthened - this also takes care of the stand proud requirement for the liners (grooved). As you're now discovering, Cosworth sporadically released the parts and it's a bloody nightmare. I've got a few contacts but you're going to be lucky, seriously lucky, to piece a complete engine together.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User
Your car: Ford Fiesta

Car: 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i

Postby essexrsturbo on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:31 pm

hello excursion.

i've sport to M-sport and Mountune plenty of times and can paste some of there emails. there was two CGi blocks both used in WRC, one by mountune,one by Cosworth.
essexrsturbo
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby Excursion on Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:39 pm

essexrsturbo :hello excursion.

i've sport to M-sport and Mountune plenty of times and can paste some of there emails. there was two CGi blocks both used in WRC, one by mountune,one by Cosworth.

Yes I've just confirmed this now, my bad mate. It seems there are linered
blocks and non-linered!
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby simhopper on Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:14 pm

i know of a complete wrc genuine engine for sale it is complete barr rods and pistons and valves

i was goign to purchase it myself but the lack of spares put me off

ian howell bought only about a third of the parts cosworth where selling off

ashley bought the rest and has almost completed a couple of engines with the spares he had

he built a wrc engine

a wrc hybrid with wrc block and wrc head

a wrc hybrid with wrc block and standard zetec e head

ashley has enough spares to keep most engines going and has said hewill reproduce parts for spares,there was a lack of gaskets but he was hoping cosworth would help him out

ian sold the blocks cheap(150) due to the mass or work needed to get them working in a standard road car,it has nothing in common with the road going zetec
simhopper
Poster
Poster

Postby Excursion on Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:37 pm

Yes mate, almost. He's struggling from what I've heard! Given what they're designed for it doesn't seem worth it....

The bearings are all different from what I've heard.
Excursion
Bulletin Board User
Bulletin Board User

Postby simhopper on Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:39 pm

Excursion :Yes mate, almost. He's struggling from what I've heard! Given what they're designed for it doesn't seem worth it....

The bearings are all different from what I've heard.

the bearings are 6mm thick

the crank is custom to match the 60k gearbox,but could be dowled to suit

cant really see the point in using these blocks when a standard block is good for 500

you need very deep pockets for these blocks and i doubt those who bought them will follow them thro,bet most of these go back on ebay within a few months

i spoke to jeremey at cosworth and ashley who has a good deal of parts in great depth and between them i reckon you could have a serious engine for around 10-12k

good luck to those that bought them
simhopper
Poster
Poster

Postby frstlad on Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:49 am

i no it normally happens, but ive wanted this block for ages, and nothing will put me off, even if it takes awhile, as for funds, i am doing plenty of resprays in my own time that covered the costs of the car, looking for a bigger unit so can get more private work in, as for essexrsturbo, where you in essex mate?

you got msn? would be good to have a chat
frstlad
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.