Xr2i 8v to RS turbo conversion

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

Xr2i 8v to RS turbo conversion

Postby xr2ibaz on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi,

I know its been done to death but what do I need to swap my Xr2i 8v engine to a FRST engine. Am I right in thinking I just need A FRST engine (with manifold/exhaust, intercooler, loom and ECU)??? Can I use my radiator (its almost brand new)? And my existing gearbox and clutch etc? My XR already has fast road shocks and springs, OZ 15" wheels and full RST interior. If some knowledgeable person can tell me exactly what I do and don't need I'd be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance, Harry
xr2ibaz
Poster
Poster

Re: Xr2i 8v to RS turbo conversion

Postby dangerousdave on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:50 pm

can only use your rad if you are wantig to use a frony mount intercooler and want custom pipework if your planning on samcos you need the frst rad and intercooler as they fit together and are the same size compleate as an xr2i rad and the botom hose fits 90 deg the other way iirc!

edit and you need the air charge temp sensor and plug if your using your inlet manafold and injectors ( same as frst)
dangerousdave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby xr2ibaz on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:13 am

so if I use my injectors and inlet manifold etc I need to buy and fit the air charge sensor. Where does this go a would I need to modify the inlet bits to fit it or is it a straight swap?
Cheers
xr2ibaz
Poster
Poster

Postby dangerousdave on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:19 am

its a straight swap as there the same, infact the head is the same too if you wanted to be even cheaper!! if your looking at the inlet theres a sensor to the right hand side above the 3rd or 4th inj it that you need to change but you need the small alloy reducer that you place in it too and then screw the sensor in.... ill se if i can find a pic....

EDIT: here you go pal

dangerousdave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby xr2ibaz on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:38 am

Thats great, cheap is good...so if I'm right in thinking this I need: frst bottom end, turbo manifold, exhaust and boost pipes (samco's), wiring loom&ecu, rad&intercooler, and the inlet bit that says 'turbo' on it...correct? Oh and the sensor and alloy reducer. Where can I buy the reducer?
Cheers
xr2ibaz
Poster
Poster

Postby dangerousdave on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:51 am

i got mine from an rs breakers in birmingham but it ain very cheap there as it was my last resort, try posting a wanted add on here first and look on ebay then if all else fails ring them on 01889582197 and they deliver!!

also you need the bottom hose as its different and oil and water feeds for the turbo and the turbo!!

EDIT: and a mapsensor
dangerousdave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby xr2ibaz on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:06 am

Is there a exploded/parts diagram for the xr2i and frst? Are the hoses and oil pipes not a part of the samco kits?
xr2ibaz
Poster
Poster

Postby dangerousdave on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:47 pm

no mate oil pipes are braided and you only get around 80% of water pipes you need one for the return from the turbo to rad, but the bottom hose is with the samcos that has a t-off for the feed turbo the oil pipes are braided tho and so are the stems that come from the turbo for the water pipes to fit, depending on where you get the turbo from you may get these anyway mate if not someone here will have spares!!
dangerousdave
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.