xr2i backbox

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

xr2i backbox

Postby hb69 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:41 am

Hi

I have recently bought a 1990 xr2i. It came with a 5" backbox (not sure who its made by) this makes the car very loud. I am looking to replace it with something smaller possibly a 3"/3.5" exhaust.

I am after something which is only slightly louder than the standard one when idling but sounds nice when at about 3000rpm. I have heard magnex are the best but i havent found anywhere that sells magnex backbox's for the 8v. has anyone had any experience of piper exhausts???

i dont want something that sounds raspy at high revs...

Has anyone got any ideas which type to go for????

Cheers
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby Oranoco on Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:40 am

By the sounds of your description it will probably be a Rage or some tat like that (anybody say chive / McDonalds :lol: ).

Magnex do a backbox for the 8v 2i and when I got mine it was £113 iirc but this was some years ago. Mild steel Piper exhausts sound nice but tend not to last more than 5 minutes their stainless exhausts are sposed to be pretty darn good.

Amber Performance list:

Scorpion £298 FS
Mongoose £273 FS
Magnex £280 FS
Piper £313

R-Tec do mail order so it may be worth giving them a ring 01727 790100 don't let them talk you into some cheap chive rubbish though as they are well known for Lexus lights and neon washer jets

A good quality custom exhaust (not PowerFlow :x ) could be looked into but tend to cost a few quid. My old 2i one was about £600 and the custom box on my A4 was just over £200 (both made superbly with excellent materials and pipe work that is mandrel bended not welded in sections.

Not a great pic as the tailpipes need a polish but it looks sweet and is barely noisier than the standard pipe (cheaper than a proepr VAG one as well :wink: )

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby hb69 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:03 pm

cheers for your help.

i ordered a 3" s/s piper backbox today so hopefully that will arrive by the end of the week and i can get rid of the 5" tin can.wehay.
hb69
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Fiesta 1.1 LX

Postby Faith on Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:51 pm

Im also after a new exhuast (sorry for hi-jack) i currently have a Magnex 3'' backbox on my 2i and its too raspy and small, i would like a nice 4'' rolled out but the biggest for a 2i is a 3.5'' rolled in.

Mongoose do a 4'' rolled out, could this fit to a 2i straight on? or would it be a weld jobby? if anyone can recommend a nice exhaust then please let me know (i have roughly £260 to spend) i want a nice burble not rasp (like magnex)

Ashley sports exhaust system and manifold are £230 but its only mild steel, would that be a bad choice to go for?

Ade :D
Faith
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:29 pm

8v or 16v XR2i? and where abouts are you? I know a place that will build you exactly what you want. They did the one on my A4 but they are in Hertfordshire which I appreciate may be a bit far to go for an exhaust. I couldn't find anywhere to do a 4" outwardly rolled exhaust so had a full system made from scratch from high grade stainless and the system was mandrel bent :Q

No pics but here's a link to a couple of vid clips from the photoshoot with Performance Ford at Brunters

http://www.fordsport.org.uk/New/vids_members.htm

RIP :cry:

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Faith on Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:00 pm

hello mate,

its an 8v xr2i.

i live just north of brighton so maybe a bit far lol, but will deffinate consider it! thanks very much,

car sounds lovely on the dyno :)

Ade
Faith
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Oranoco on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:10 pm

Brighton may be a bit far to go. Leave it with me and I shall see what I can find out for you :wink:

Really miss that old car. Was saddly written off when a kind chap in a BMW drove into the back of it. :(

Don't look too bad but it bent the pick up points for the beam so was crabbing like mad. Cheeky fooks at Adrian Flux tried to pay us £500 for it :x It took almost 6 months of fighting before we got a proper amount.

Oranoco
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Faith on Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:18 pm

Ok mate thank you very much :D

Yeh she looked lovely, my first xr was a white one, also up in car heaven now :cry:

Ade :)
Faith
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.