xr2i brake conversion

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

xr2i brake conversion

Postby RS rob on Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:12 pm

i've been offered front calipers discs and pads and a sterrign wheel from a xr2i 8v for £40, this a good deal?

anyway to the point i wanna put these front calipers and discs etc onto my 1.1 fiesta.

firstly is there much point in doing this, would there much of a difference?
secondly are there any extra parts i need for this conversion and how hard would this be if not straight forward?
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby DaveMCMkIII on Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:39 pm

imo id just save an extra hundred or so quid 4 some cossie discs with green stuff pads etc. they look beta, break beta n afta a while of havin the 2i breaks, ul just want bigger ones neway. i think in the long run it'd b beta savin 4 cossie discs n that, cuz itll work out cheaper than gettin the 2i ones now then the cossie ones lata.
DaveMCMkIII
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Liebo on Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:21 pm

2i disks are good if you want to keep small alloys, you need 15/16 for cossie....

is it possible to fit quite easily 2i setup? i would get new disks and pads for when i do it, or am i better just keeping my replacing my standard disks with aftermarket ones and get good pads?
Liebo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Sat Aug 23, 2003 7:03 pm

2i calipers go straight on
you should NEVER fit second hand disc and pads,
u will need new discs and pads cos 2i are vented and ur 1.1 are solid.

price is about the money would expect all parts to be perfect for that money!
seen 2i calipers going for £5-£10 :D

also i have a very low opinion of green stuff to many ppl complain about them, would go for ford discs and pads if ur still using 1.1, or if u really want summink else go for ferodo pads or the like

cossie calipers, um yea they are better but often in less than gr8 condition and about £100 not a striaght on and require spacing out ppl often use washers to do this which is very crude and IMHO a bit silly, so a spacer plate or bracket would be needed, along with a minimum of 15" wheels some design of wheels require spacers or 16" etc.

rather than cossie i would go st170, although discs and pads are currently at quite high prices but fit much better and only require very min. drilling to fit.

hope that helps somewhat :D
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby RS rob on Sat Aug 23, 2003 11:33 pm

so if i knock him him down to £30 and get new pads and discs i should be ok?

just asking why you should never use someone elses pads and discs?
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby Liebo on Sun Aug 24, 2003 8:33 am

bridgend_boy :just asking why you should never use someone elses pads and discs?

would you really trust discs and pads from a car you dont know how it has been driven or what condition they are like?

whats the point of you fitting them secondhand and find out the discs are warped which means they have to come off anyway?

Buy the calipers and get new discs and pads. safest!
Liebo
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:50 am

the reason u dont reuse them is cos the pads bed into the discs so that they get a good friction surface also they can easily become contaminated and the like. also because of the price its just not worth any risks.

tbh u can most of the time get away with reusing discs and pads depending on there condition but like i said is it really worth the risk of having no brakes?
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby RS rob on Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:50 am

yeah thats fair enuff, cheers for ur help!!

but its worth knocking him down?
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby FezzR on Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:18 am

bridgend_boy :but its worth knocking him down?

are sticks sticky?
cheaper is always better
FezzR
God Damn Lazy
God Damn Lazy

Postby RS rob on Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:37 am

ok cheers
RS rob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.