ZetecTurbo ignition advance table Q?

CVH and Zetec tuning, suspension and braking mods.

ZetecTurbo ignition advance table Q?

Postby disc on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:36 am

Hi!

I got my 1800 cc Zetecturbo running (kind of) on 0,4 bar, no intercooler yet.

Spec:

C/R - 7,8:1 (2 headgaskets and 1,5 mm SS plate)
ERST T3 turbo
375 cc/min injectors
2L Mondeo TB
105PS camshafts
Wideband Lamdba sensor with LC-1 controller
ECU - Megasquirt
ect.,ect.

I mapped engine on good 12:1 AFR on boost, but it feels bit poo... may be my ignition advance table is not up to the job :rolleyes:
My 1.4 CVH Turbo was with better performance on 0,4 Bar boost (but with higher C/R - 8,5:1). May be with more boost things will came on place but until engine is without intercooler, I can't afford to rise the boost (my 1.4 turbo pop a piston :o 3 months ago in such situation, without intercooler).
So i'm asking for advice how to tune my advance table. Is anyone have advance table from well tuned ZetecTurbo? OMEX, Megasquirt or whatever ECU? May be an NA Zetec ignition map will be good start for me, so if anyone have any - please post them.

Thanks!
Sorry for my bad english...
disc
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Your car: 1991 Orion ZetecTurbo 270BHP

Postby heeman10 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:47 pm

What does your table look like at the moment? If you're going to map it on the road, you're really going to need an ACT gauge, specially with no intercooler! I'd say it's almost a waste of time trying to perfect an ignition table on a non-intercooled turbocharged engine when you're aiming to add an intercooler. Get an intercooler on, THEN try all this.

Does Megasquirt provide inlet air temp compensation? If not, that could be a major part of your problems. Do you have any way of listening out for detonation? 375cc/min is a high flowrate for this engine! What duty cycles are showing?
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master
Your car: Audi TT TDI Quattro S line

Postby disc on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:03 am

I'll post my ign map when I have access to my laptop.

Megasquirt have ACT and ECT related ignition compensation :wink: (I use standard Ford temp. sensors) , also knock sensor input circuit - just need to find a sensor. 375 cc/min are bit larger but that was first injectors that I found, that fit in Zetec fuel rail and are large enough for boosted engine. Duty cycle is ~50% @ 0,4 Bar.

Intercooler is pain in the arse to fit - it's Orion not Fiesta. I got Sierra 2WD item and I plan to put it on top of radiator (similar to Escos), but first I need to modify old Transit radiator - cut and weld/solder job (radiator is with copper end tanks!), that I have to fit. More work needed!

And pics, 3 weeks ago. Now I got 600 km. on engine without any problems! Here and there you can see parts of LPG conversion that was put on old (1.4 CFi) engine - all that parts will be thrown in the bin soon.

disc
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby heeman10 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:17 am

Do you have some up-to-date photo's we can see as well as the ignition tables too? :)

What ACT's is the Megasquirt telling you it's seen so far? And how exactly does it feel "poo"? Have you inputted realistic compensation values, or did you just give very conservative figures? I'm guessing that it'll be compensating quite heavily as you're probably getting inlet temperatures over 60 Celsius - hence my recommendation of the intercooler fitment. Even if you can't make it tidy, just fit it somewhere for now if you can - hopefully it'll make a big big difference to the way it feels - you're effectively halving the air density at the moment.
James .:. 193bhp/245lbft Zetec Turbo Mk3. Click sig for conversion thread + videos .:.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby disc on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:40 am

Ignition table that I use at the moment is slightly modifed from that one:

It's ignition table from ERST on Megasquirt.

Megasquirt tells me that ACT is far away from 60, may be 80 :o - i got logs but laptop is not here. I'm not turned on ignition compenstions yet - need to sort idle, warmup enrichment ect. But I think you are right - this morning when I drove the car to work, engine was cold, ambient air temperature too, she runs fine for may be 2-3 min. I got PalmTop in car for realtime display but didn't use it today :cry: . I'll see tommorow. I know how fast inlet temperature goes up - on my 1.4 turbo we saw +25 degrees Celsius for 3 secs. when put foot down hard. Will post some pics too, but there is not more different under the hood at the moment.
disc
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Postby sailorbob on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:03 am

I'd forget about warm up enrichment for now (and idle as long as it does!), you spend more time at running temps so concentrate on these.
sailorbob
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby heeman10 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:26 am

There you go then - with inlet temps reaching 80 degrees it's bound to feel pretty sluggish! The table you're starting with looks reasonable though, so I really would recommend getting that intercooler on before spending time tweaking your maps. Sure, you'll learn from it no doubt, but it's a lot of time to waste.
heeman10
Elite Post Master
Elite Post Master

Postby rowdyburns on Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:43 pm

Ignition table looks reasonable for that CR. I would recommend you make yourself some det cans.
rowdyburns
Newbie Poster
Newbie Poster

Twitter

The second 20th Anniversary article, a dive into the history of how the site came about is available here: https://t.co/kbCfZ4sf0R

17:44, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

To celebrate https://t.co/wXVkvJipaS being 20 years old this year, I've written a series of articles detailing the… https://t.co/B0vE0Y3KvP

17:42, 4th December 2021 Twitter Web App

Follow fiestaturbo.com on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/fiestaturbo/

RSS Feeds

Subscribe to the RSS feed

What is RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets you use special applications or modern browsers to notify you you when a site is updated. You can then read the updated content in that application or your browser.

To subscribe to these RSS feeds you need to copy the links above. For instructions on how to add it to the feeds you keep track of, consult the documentation of your RSS reader.